Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Smeared damaged 997.1 c2 lens gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Lancelakewood
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smeared damaged 997.1 c2 lens gauge cluster

First, how do you safely clean the lens of the gauges? I have new distortions in two gauges. A few weeks ago I was doing a lite cleaning of pollen. I may have used Ultimate Use Detail Juice dusting around. 2 days ago I noticed two semicircular smears on outer most aspect of outermost gauges. I tried some glass cleaner from Chemical Guys with microfiber cloth; probably worse now. Second are theses lens glass and if so can they be polished if I dare take this all apart. If you polish these, do you use a headlight lens kit? Since the white faces of the dials are faded in places, I might be interested having all gauges refurbished and the lenses fixed. I have seen references to NH and Pelican for gauge work. If I send out the cluster, how hard is that? If I attempt to take this cluster out where do I start? Looks like one huge pieces spanning the whole dash.I do have some interior tools and torx tools butt never used them. Thanks for any instructions ya'll may have.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

wrong forum, our gauges are glass, yours are likely plastic
try 997 forum
Old 07-17-2019, 03:33 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancelakewood
First, how do you safely clean the lens of the gauges? I have new distortions in two gauges. A few weeks ago I was doing a lite cleaning of pollen. I may have used Ultimate Use Detail Juice dusting around. 2 days ago I noticed two semicircular smears on outer most aspect of outermost gauges. I tried some glass cleaner from Chemical Guys with microfiber cloth; probably worse now. Second are theses lens glass and if so can they be polished if I dare take this all apart. If you polish these, do you use a headlight lens kit? Since the white faces of the dials are faded in places, I might be interested having all gauges refurbished and the lenses fixed. I have seen references to NH and Pelican for gauge work. If I send out the cluster, how hard is that? If I attempt to take this cluster out where do I start? Looks like one huge pieces spanning the whole dash.I do have some interior tools and torx tools butt never used them. Thanks for any instructions ya'll may have.
Look to use a polish that was meant for lexan/plastic like Meguiar's PlastX. This is a super cheap option that should allow you to lightly polish the plastic lenses and remove the defects. Just use a microfiber towel wrapped around your finger, then agitate the lenses accordingly.
HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube

Quick Reply: Smeared damaged 997.1 c2 lens gauge cluster