Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Please help me place a value on a car...soon to purchase, after PPI!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 04:58 PM
acastell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me place a value on a car...soon to purchase, after PPI!

Hello all...I have some questions on the value of a car that I am looking at. I am a former Rennlister, having sold my 97 TT, I have kept of the boards for a while. That said, I am looking to get back in, not with a 993 however, rather an early 70's 911, specifically, an RS clone. I saw a car yesterday and want your feedback:

Here is the description:
1971 PORSCHE 911, Excelence Magazine recently rated the 911 Carrera RS 2.7 as the third best driver's Porsche of all time (April 2004, p. 70), behind only the 993 Carrera RS and the Carrera GT. The car listed here started life as a 1971 911-T Targa and has been transformed into a very nice, very fast early 911 Carrera 2.7 conversion. The goal with this special car has been to combine the best elements of the early, lighter chassis with the more robust elements of the later 911 series. It is a beautiful, quick, reliable Porsche 911 in the best tradition of the original 1973 Carrera RS. Price: $14,500 SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY [email] Basic information:  Motor: 2.7 liter motor High-compression pistons Solex-grind cams Ported intake and exhaust runners Updated chain-tensioners All components balanced Webber carbs, updated venturis, jets and emulsion tubes KNN Air Filters with venting tube Rebuilt distributor  Transmission: 915 5 speed gearbox Early model short gear ratio Porsche limited slip differential 915 shift tower with short-shifter New shift tower and tunnel bushings Turbo starter motor  Suspension: 16 Fuchs Carrera wheels New Kuhmo Ecsts KH11 tires Bilstien shocks 930 tie-rod ends and rack spacers Late model aluminum rear trailing arms Rear Carrera torsion bars Late-model 911 rear sway bar Coil-over front suspension Big Weltmeister front swaybar Triangulating shock-tower truss-bar Under-dash truss-bar New front and rear brake rotors 911-S brakes  Interior: Updated interior New door panels and updated door pockets Re-covered Targa top Re-covered rear seats Late model leather Carrera seats Momo steering wheel Blaupunkt stereo  Chasis: Steel Carrera flares Lightweight fiberglass front and rear bumpers Lightweight fiberglass Ducktail rear spoiler Late-model running boards H-4 headlights New windshield

Please let me know what you would price this car at? Assume the paint is an 8 out of 10 and the interior is a 7 out of 10. I drove the car and it felt VERY tight!

Ideas on fair market value?

Many thanks
Anthony
Old 02-17-2004, 05:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,031 Likes on 2,843 Posts

Sounds like a fair price assuming no rust and fresh (well built) mechanicals. It's CRITICAL to have a thorough PPI done by a shop with lots of early 911 experience. How about a photo? Sounds like a sweet car, although there were never any RS Targas, so the lookalike factor will be compromised if you care about that at all.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:34 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Is it a 2.7 from a 74-77 CIS car, or is it a 73 Carrera RS 2.7 (also used in ROW 74 Carreras), which originally came with MFI. The mag-case 74-77 motors, especially in US models from 75-77, tended to get cooked from emissions equipment (thermal reactors) and are famous for losing their grip on head studs.

Other than that, are you sure you want a car with that many race mods that is also a Targa? You're taking a weight and rigidity penalty with the Targa, and also inviting noise and leaks.

Then again, open-air motoring is a blast.

The price seems reasonable, if the condition of the car is very good. I'd get a thorough PPI, and also ask the shop doing the inspection to give you a ballpark number on value.

On a 71, I would suggest a thorough search for rust (It's there, believe me), and also a through check on the condition of all the bushings/ball joints/rubber fuel and brake lines, etc. 33 years is a long time for rubber not to crumble.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 PM
acastell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the initial feedback...well the car has a 2.4 motor (I think) with larger pistons installed, to get to 2.7.

As far as the Targa, yes, I know the disadvantages, however, I will most likely only dabble in timetrials and at my level, the added flex should not be a concern.

The leak down test is:
It was C1-2%, C2-2%, C3-2%
C4-1%, C5-2%, C6-1%.

Rust, ahhh, rust. There does not appear to be any significant rust upon very close inspection.

Anyway, not much else to add.

I would love other feedback, mainly on the suspension mods. Is there a lot of value in these?

Also, the car is carburated. Webber carbs...sounds great and NO deadspots!

Anthony

Quick Reply: Please help me place a value on a car...soon to purchase, after PPI!