Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking At A Stock 1981 SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 12:47 PM
Yankee911Guy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking At A Stock 1981 SC

Still on the hunt for my first air cooled 911. A friend offered me his 1981 SC today for $40k. It’s mostly original and stock, original white paint, original brown interior, shows 175k miles but has a rebuilt top end and 915 (less than 10k miles ago by a well know and respected independent Porsche shop). Been in California most of its life until he bought it a couple years ago from his friend’s estate. His friend was the original owner.

Does this seem like top end price for a stock 81SC, but reasonable with the work that has been done?

Old 05-28-2019, 12:03 AM
Blender77
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the dash has been replaced. Not unusual as the dash is prone to warping, but they did not care to match the interior. For 40k, I would expect a better effort.
Also, the windshield must come out to replace the dash and can be problematic to install leading to a poor seal and leaks. Be sure to check this area.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:27 AM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

These are bullet proof cars and if the body is sound can run forever. But miles are always tied to value/price. Sounds like it’s been maintained and loved which is good. It’s just a tad over Hagerty #3 money, so it’s maybe a bit on the high side but not crazy either. Really no real big differences in this era between a ‘78 up to an ‘83. Does it have full records?

Do you like the color combo? That was what my choice came down to, I skipped over countless other cars because they weren’t the color I wanted. In this case it’s hard to say for sure but it almost looks like it could be Chiffon White which is imo one of the nicest exterior colors ever on a 911,and very rare. But I’d prefer a black interior, but that’s just me. In any case whatever you decide good luck with it.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:16 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,432 Likes on 2,705 Posts

That interior doesn't look right to me - The seats look like they are Burgundy and rest of interior Brown? Maybe it's the light but doubt it because the color doesn't match at all.
I just bought a very nice silver/black 1980 911sc and it's got 112K miles. I paid in the low $30's including shipping from Nashville Tn. to Seattle

175K miles is a lot when you consider it is creeping up to 200K - If you don't care about resale and you can live with that color combo, I still think it is $4-$5K overpriced.
911sc's with 200K miles have a hard time selling for anything over $30K

If you do go forward with the purchase, have a PPI done and check out the transmission---> The 915 Transmission is are notorious for having Synchro issues and can grind going into 1st/2nd & 3rd gear both up or down shifting - also same with reverse.- They also are notorious for broken head studs so make sure you check on that too. Then oil leaks. Parts are getting expensive and tranny parts alone with no labor is $3200 these days.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:05 PM
Yankee911Guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groovzilla
That interior doesn't look right to me - The seats look like they are Burgundy and rest of interior Brown? Maybe it's the light but doubt it because the color doesn't match at all.
I just bought a very nice silver/black 1980 911sc and it's got 112K miles. I paid in the low $30's including shipping from Nashville Tn. to Seattle

175K miles is a lot when you consider it is creeping up to 200K - If you don't care about resale and you can live with that color combo, I still think it is $4-$5K overpriced.
911sc's with 200K miles have a hard time selling for anything over $30K

If you do go forward with the purchase, have a PPI done and check out the transmission---> The 915 Transmission is are notorious for having Synchro issues and can grind going into 1st/2nd & 3rd gear both up or down shifting - also same with reverse.- They also are notorious for broken head studs so make sure you check on that too. Then oil leaks. Parts are getting expensive and tranny parts alone with no labor is $3200 these days.
I know for a fact that the dash is a replacement, because the original comes with the car. The original had a single crack but was fixed. But the owner still didn’t like it so he replaced it. Not sure if the seat have been recovered or not.

Motor and transmission are documented as being rebuilt within the last 8-10k Miles by a local 30+ year air cooled only Indy shop that has a great local reputation.

I would rather have a black interior, but a decent car that is original Chiffon white with black interior is like finding a unicorn, and you pay a premium if you do find it.

Im thinking after a successful PPI I’ll offer $32k and hope for $35k. Not sure he will come down that much though considering the major mechanical work it’s had at his expense.

Considering I plan to keep this a long long time, I don’t mind spending $4-6k completely swapping the interior to black. I’d probably do RS or Recaro front seats and rear seat delete.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:34 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,432 Likes on 2,705 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee911Guy
I know for a fact that the dash is a replacement, because the original comes with the car. The original had a single crack but was fixed. But the owner still didn’t like it so he replaced it. Not sure if the seat have been recovered or not.

Motor and transmission are documented as being rebuilt within the last 8-10k Miles by a local 30+ year air cooled only Indy shop that has a great local reputation.

I would rather have a black interior, but a decent car that is original Chiffon white with black interior is like finding a unicorn, and you pay a premium if you do find it.

Im thinking after a successful PPI I’ll offer $32k and hope for $35k. Not sure he will come down that much though considering the major mechanical work it’s had at his expense.

Considering I plan to keep this a long long time, I don’t mind spending $4-6k completely swapping the interior to black. I’d probably do RS or Recaro front seats and rear seat delete.
If Chiffon White is the off-white, IMHO it is just not a desirable color.
If you like the car I'd hold firm at $32K - Explain the mis-matched interior and try to get the car sub $33K
Old 05-28-2019, 05:26 PM
SP2000
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

OP: Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but there is an SC couple on BaT right now with 185K miles that should give you at least a ballpark on pricing.
I won't post a link since I'm not sure if you're allowed to or not. But if you go to BaT you can search for it.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:50 PM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
If Chiffon White is the off-white, IMHO it is just not a desirable color...
Definitely personal opinion. I think chiffon is stunning.

But I agree with the swap to black interior to set it off.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:27 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SP2000
OP: Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but there is an SC couple on BaT right now with 185K miles that should give you at least a ballpark on pricing.
I won't post a link since I'm not sure if you're allowed to or not. But if you go to BaT you can search for it.
That red coupe sold for $28K.
Not sure if it had a recent engine overhaul
Old 05-28-2019, 07:42 PM
Bluehorizon
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Just one thing to note on the dashboard - you’ll need to remove the windshield in order to take it out. Not a huge task, but definitely more involved than you might like.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:08 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree with others that this seems high. If you can, I would try and get another $10,000 together and buy a 3.2 for around $50,000. I believe that you can find a very nice, reasonably sorted 3.2 with 100,000 miles or under for $50,000.

Now, if you want an SC, then the above is worthless.

Obviously just my opinion.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:44 PM
Yankee911Guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sean L.
I agree with others that this seems high. If you can, I would try and get another $10,000 together and buy a 3.2 for around $50,000. I believe that you can find a very nice, reasonably sorted 3.2 with 100,000 miles or under for $50,000.

Now, if you want an SC, then the above is worthless.

Obviously just my opinion.
Id like to stick to $50k all in including purchase price, tax, tags and a build out to what I would consider a “done” car. That’s why if I can get this for $35k,that’s $37k and change after tax. Add $6k for interior that’s $43k. That leaves me $7k for any other odds and ends like maybe IROC bumpers and or engine mods. At least that’s the plan.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 AM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

You’re on the right track realizing the purchase price is just the entry fee.

Be patient enjoy the search, a clean 911 for $40ish is out there. Get the color you want, a color change inside or out insures an * forever thereafter beside the cars history. You have to be real sure to go that route unless you’ve already looked at several and this one speaks to you. Make sure you’re dialed into all the sources, Hemmings, Rennlist, Pelican, autos.com, classicautotrader, BAT, excellence, pca.org, I found a few surprise dealers tucked away here and there as well through my searching places like jpfrazier.com as well, google is your friend. Good luck with it whatever you decide.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:29 PM
Yankee911Guy
Intermediate

After lots of comparing and talking to several Porsche friends I have decided to get a PPI done on the Chiffon White 81SC tomorrow. I’ve also been negotiating the price before hand so any issues with the car can be further negotiated after the PPI.

PPI with full on lift inspection (1hour quote) and compression and leak down test (1.5 hour quote) is $350.00 at a local independent shop (Graham Rahal Performance). I paid that for my last 997.2 911 PPI at a Porsche dealer and they didn’t even do a compression, leak down, or check for bore scoring.

Wish me luck. I’ll post photos tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:01 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Good Luck - while you wait figure out how many in Chiffon were imported here

Quick Reply: Looking At A Stock 1981 SC