Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 Transmission Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Dadofour
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 915 Transmission Help Needed

I backed my 1984 Carrera Coupe in the garage yesterday, and when I went to drive it out today it would not move forward.

It was as if the emergency brake was on, except when I push in the clutch the car rolls fine.

After playing around I have figured out that the car operates in reverse when I leave the gear shift in a "neutral" position. When I put the gear shift into a forward gear, the trannie seems to be "locked" up.

The gear shift cannot move over to the right to the normal position to reach either 5th or reverse, although reverse is the only functioning gear at this time.

Any suggestions? Is my linkage screwed up or do I have a more serious transmission issue?

Thanks for your help.

Than
Old 02-15-2004, 11:10 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

If you would have said it would not move either direction, I would have suspected the shift coupler needs adjusting. I had one that if you weren't careful when changing from reverse to first it would actually hang up in both, forward and reverse. If you messed with it long enough you could force it out of being locked up, but it would not move either direction till you got it free. I took the tunnel cover off to look at the coupler, the bushings were totally shot, and apparently the PO did the repair by just shoving the new bushings into the coupler backwards from the outside of the joint. I assume they did this BS repair so they would not have to remove the coupler. After I removed the coupler and pressed out what was left of the old bushings and installed the new bushings correctly, I adjusted the shifter and coupler properly and have have not had any problems with it since. Shifts great. If yours is not a coupler related issue, it could be that the shift forks inside your tranny have been bent or broken or have gotten out of place inside your transmission. Hope you find it is just bad coupler adjustment.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Dadofour
Advanced

I tried to adjust the linkage, but could not get it out of reverse even manually.

I have an appoitment Wednesday at a local shop. AAA will cover towing, and I will get an answer sooner rather than later.

Thanks for your help. I really hope it isn't the forks. I was not planning a trannie rebuild this year.

Than
Old 02-15-2004, 07:36 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Sorry to hear that you could not get it out of gear. I know that if you lift the rear wheels off the ground, it will take the pressure of the driveline. Might be able to get it free then. Goodluck.

Quick Reply: 915 Transmission Help Needed