Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Optimizing AC Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:28 PM
CaptainFuzzy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimizing AC Cooling

Hello all. Had my AC system replaced recently after a purchase of my 87 3.2, and was noticing that it’s not cooling much. Any tips on how to operate/treat the AC system?

PS: as a new 911 driver, AC being obnoxious or not, I’m an awakened man. 😍🚗
Old 05-25-2019, 12:22 AM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

It’s probably working just fine. Lower your expectations a bit. You have to own an air cooled 911 at least 8 years before the secrets of the AC system are revealed.

PS welcome aboard.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

When you say it was replaced, do you mean recharged? If you've got the original AC components running on R12, don't expect a lot. If you need real cooling, then you'll probably have to look into the aftermarket systems. Look at Griffiths, RennAire, RetroAir, or ClassicRetrofit. Griffiths and ClassicRetrofit are members here. Check out this post: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...c-upgrade.html

Can we see some photos of your car?

Mark
Old 05-26-2019, 06:46 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
When you say it was replaced, do you mean recharged? If you've got the original AC components running on R12, don't expect a lot. If you need real cooling, then you'll probably have to look into the aftermarket systems. Look at Griffiths, RennAire, RetroAir, or ClassicRetrofit. Griffiths and ClassicRetrofit are members here. Check out this post: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...c-upgrade.html

Can we see some photos of your car?

Mark
Exactly! Even if your A/C was working perfectly, it's garbage compared to modern A/C systems and will never satisfy. Like Mark, I also have a Targa and that's all the A/C I need!
Old 05-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

From experience, Griffith's can make the a/c work FAR FAR better than original.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:16 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

this is all you can really do if the system is stock:
ensure the front condenser is clean and the fan is working
ensure the rear condenser is clean
make sure the receiver/drier is fresh
charged to spec with R12
The fan in the evaporator is working right
The compressor is in good working order and right amount of oil is in the system
There are no leaks, in the hoses, connections, Schrader valves, compressor, or other components.

On my former 89 Carrera, charged to R12, it will blow low 40s out the vents and keeps the cabin plenty cool, while driving, at 90-95 outside temps. however, in stop and go traffic, you don't get the air volume over the large rear condenser and the performance suffers, in addition to making the car run warmer. It mostly worked fine living in coastal Los Angeles.

If you want it working right, and are interested in Griffiths upgrades, give Steve at Steves D&S Auto Air a call in Costa Mesa. he knows these systems hands down and installs Griffiths systems. I had him go through my 89 before sale.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:17 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Griffith's+1 if you have a stock system. Tore everything out in 2008 and have a full four condenser Griffith's. Works great in Alabama summer heat in stop and go traffic. I don't evenhave to run the system on full cold to be comfortable. Low 30s out of the vents with increased air flow from the Griffith's hurricane blower. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:58 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bet its working perfect. its just old outdated technology, it was outdated already 40 years ago. you'd have to put aftermarket #1 for griffith's. or just remove the entire thing like i did its a convertible. dead weight

Quick Reply: Optimizing AC Cooling