Carrera 3.2 just arriving from Spain

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:21 AM
cicli
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Carrera 3.2 just arriving from Spain

Hi everybody.

It's already one year since I purchased my G Carrera 3.2 in Guards red. I got it from a man who had not been using it too much during the last years, the tyres were almost new and 16 years old, it looked to be a good candidate in original condition.

It needed some care mechanically and stetically, as not the best people had been working on it, but the final result is satisfactory to me.

The interior had an awful wood sticker which was the first thing I removed. I also had to purchase some parts of the dash because they were cut and drilled for unused bottoms/lights. I assume it had an aftermarket alarm in the past.

Odo was not working as usual, but with some care I managed to identify the size of the original gear and install a new one. Toughest part to me was to open the front bevel.

Many spares purchased, most of them OEM or even second hand OEM. I wanted to renew or replace every single plastic or rubber damaged along time or unproper use.

DME relay was not working, and someone decided it was much easier to dismantle half of the car to run a direct wire from fusebox to the pump instead of changing the relay... some other great ideas like this I found on the car. Fortunately nothing from the original installation had been cut and I could leave everything as it should be.

Installed a retrofit fusebox with relays

Had to drill some of the sockets as there is not enough space as they come.

Installation does not take more than a couple of hours being careful not to get ocnfused. The difference now with the relays for headlights is quite big.

Using a template available on the web, I personalized a label specific to my car and in spanish language.

Anybody knows what are these two connectors (even one covered with shrink wrap) next to a boot lifter?

Had to look for some use of the original fusebox, decoration for my office :-)

Installed Turbo tie rods and a bump steer kit for the rack, as the car is running quite low

Cleaned, resealed, greased and inspected the doors

Removed an aftermarket door lock system, as they car did not have the option from factory. I prefer the original status and those things are unnecessary weight.

There was a Lucas coil on the car, which should not be commpatible. Purchased the Bosch original one... made in Brazil? Such a bad quality from a visual point of view... :-(

Some maintenance pieces were almost original, probably changed during the first maintenances of the car. Fuel filter and one belt were dated back in 1989...

Renewed all suspension bushings, I even found some which were adapted from another car... WTF??

The car already has the supports for the rear anti-roll bar changed. Maybe they broke in the past, or were just changed on prevention. They are not perfectly installed, as the bushings do not sit well on the bar.

Changed the suspension, installed Bilsteins, the car had Boge as OEM.

The car was riding excessively low at the rear. When installed the gas Bilsteins, it raised a bit, but wanted to raise it a bit more. Probably in the past someone turned the bars, but this is something I did not want to do now. So I decided to manufacture a specific wrench and play with the excentric bolts on the rear axle. It is a 24mm 36mm, if someone needs one I have some more available.

General status of the engine is good, in original condition. It pushes adequately all along the RPM range, I'm happy with it.

Just some weeks after purchasing it, appeared a very big oil leak, and I was expecting the worse. Maybe a broken head bolt. But luckily it was only the oil pressure sensor which had broken down. Just some time to remove part of the intake, some cleaning and a new one. Now engine is completelly dry, more than expected.

Did the balancing on all 4 wheels when adjusting the ride height

Side to side is perfect, just 1kg difference!!!

Regards,
Dani.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:41 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Nice work! Is that fuse block from CDD Autogear? I plan on retrofitting my fuse block in my '72 and they do a nice job making their product look like the original.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:16 AM
cicli
8th Gear

Originally Posted by myflat6
Nice work! Is that fuse block from CDD Autogear? I plan on retrofitting my fuse block in my '72 and they do a nice job making their product look like the original.
No, it is a kit supplied by Classic Retrofit in the UK. It does not seem so original, but incorporates the relays for the main and high beam and also some LEDs which turn on when a fuse is fused. Not very usual, but practical when happens.

Regards,
Dani.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:25 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

wow really nice job, your list looks similar to what I did for my car when I got it, although I didn't have any weird stuff to be found, luckily! Your car looks quite clean otherwise.

Was the car originally from Spain?

This is my wife's dream. We move to coastal spain (the weather is so similar to california where we live) and I have an old 911 to enjoy the country roads.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:53 PM
cicli
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Spyerx
wow really nice job, your list looks similar to what I did for my car when I got it, although I didn't have any weird stuff to be found, luckily! Your car looks quite clean otherwise.

Was the car originally from Spain?

This is my wife's dream. We move to coastal spain (the weather is so similar to california where we live) and I have an old 911 to enjoy the country roads.
As you say, the car is really clean now. Quite a lot of refreshing job and some spares took the value, luckily we can buy almost everything. Sometimes expensive, but there is stock. I have other old cars, from other cheaper brands, for which I need to pay hugh amounts for used pieces as there is no new fabrication.

The car was sold new in Spain, in Madrid back in 1987. It is 100% rust free and in original condition except for the stereo which was replaced with a Stuttgart from 964. Soon bought it the previous owner, and now I am the third one. It has only 130.000km on the dial.

Not a bad idea from your wife, the life on our east-south coast is quite easy. It is plenty of people coming for retirement to Spain. Even when I prefer my greener area in the north. Although I need to say that I also know California and I would prefer it. We always pretend what we do not have, you know... XD

Regards,
Dani.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:59 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

Really nice work on the mechanical restoration there.

Side to side weight balance is amazing. Did you have a weight in the driver's seat? Anything else that could shift things left to right?
Old 04-25-2019, 05:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

nice work there. I hope you ditched that silver coil already. I think most of us have one as a paperweight. If its still in your car it WILL leave you stranded.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:17 PM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice write up. Inspiring to me!
Old 04-26-2019, 07:38 AM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Nicely done. Beautiful car and so fortunate that it’s ruust free.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 04-26-2019, 07:50 AM
cicli
8th Gear

Originally Posted by theiceman
nice work there. I hope you ditched that silver coil already. I think most of us have one as a paperweight. If its still in your car it WILL leave you stranded.
Thanks.

The coil is installed, not failed for the moment. Anyway I am taking on the boot the old Lucas one just in case.

Any recommendation for a good coil which is suitable for this Motronic injection? The Bosch is the only one directly available, no other brand crosses reference to the Bosch.
Originally Posted by luke-44
Nice write up. Inspiring to me!
Well, that is the objective. Inspire 911 owners to keep them alive!! :-)

Originally Posted by Uwon
Nicely done. Beautiful car and so fortunate that it’s ruust free.
Cheers,
Johan
Thanks.

Yes, chassis is rust free. The only point where there is rust is the bonnet. The previous owner did not paint on time some stone chips and the rust has gone deep into the metal sheet. I already cleaned to sound metal and send it for paint when I purchased the car, but has appeared again. So it's time for a new bonnet.

Any recommendation for a new one? I definitely want an aluminum of fiber one to save weight, but it has to fit perfectly on shape as the original steel one.

Regards,
Dani.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:37 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

I got an original one from a swap meet Unfortunately the black reliable ones are no longer made.
Its good you carry a spare.

Quick Reply: Carrera 3.2 just arriving from Spain