Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Who Wants to Join Me in Suspension Noise Hell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

mine only had 11k miles on them. and since the boot covers them, you normally don't see anything. Just something else to add to the list of checks..
Old 04-16-2019, 01:43 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Who Wants to Join Me in Suspension Noise Hell?.........

Not me. I've already been there and wasn't having a good time. I replaced everything and it went away.

I'm not sure what it was..... I did all the rubber. shocks, struts, rack inspection/boots/coupler/bump steer kit,Turbo tire rod ends, tie rods, full brakes, strut bar brackets (rear).

No more noise...... maybe not the best method but everything is now new.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:11 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AG81
Who Wants to Join Me in Suspension Noise Hell?.........

Not me. I've already been there and wasn't having a good time. I replaced everything and it went away.

I'm not sure what it was..... I did all the rubber. shocks, struts, rack inspection/boots/coupler/bump steer kit,Turbo tire rod ends, tie rods, full brakes, strut bar brackets (rear).

No more noise...... maybe not the best method but everything is now new.
Hey AG81, who did the work and alignment on your car? I'm about to redo the suspension on my '89 and want to find a shop in the DFW area that knows how to align these cars.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:45 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
Hey AG81, who did the work and alignment on your car? I'm about to redo the suspension on my '89 and want to find a shop in the DFW area that knows how to align these cars.
I had Zim's in Bedford do the alignment and ride height adjustment after the shocks and struts were installed.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:15 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AG81
I had Zim's in Bedford do the alignment and ride height adjustment after the shocks and struts were installed.
Great, thanks
Old 05-16-2020, 05:02 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So it took me a heck of a lot longer to get around to doing anything with this, mostly for lack of time but also for not wanting to roll around on asphalt and forgetfulness. Anyway! Here is a video from the front right control arm mount facing backwards. I think the noise is probably clearest in this, but I also took video from the left side as well. None of the videos showed any popping, binding or unexpected motions, but at least you can see the conditions when the suspension creaks. I can almost 100% do it on command by pushing the brakes harder (more brake means more pops linearly) or turning hard enough to scrub the tire, either at low speed or high it will work.

Anyway, if anyone has some other thoughts I'd be glad to hear them. Looking at it now showing no binding at any corner my mind goes towards the steering rack.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:18 AM
tperazzo
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Steering rack is possible, but I would also check the steering linkage between the rack and steering column. A clamp may be slipping on the spline.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:37 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Have you pulled your hubs and calipers apart. check bearings, shield, blake tubing, rotor, rotor bolts, caliper pistons, pads, pad springs.
That sounds almost like a pad moving around. The noise is not clear with suspension movement.

nosies suck.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:04 PM
Jim Kardas
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 check rotors,pads,calipers. Good luck. 2
Old 05-17-2020, 05:38 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

I've pulled and rebuilt the brake hardware including calipers, as well as swapped out pads a few times. No change. I haven't done it specifically to look for motion in the pads, not a big deal to give it a peek.

Originally Posted by tperazzo
Steering rack is possible, but I would also check the steering linkage between the rack and steering column. A clamp may be slipping on the spline.
Would I lose centering in the steering wheel if this were so? Or would it be more a clamp letting a shaft shift axially in and out? Alignment and steering are good.

Occaaaaasionally I'll feel the hint of something in the steering wheel I get the popping, but it's uncommon enough that I'm not sure if I'm imagining it.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:52 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

How about strut top bushings? I saw you replaced the control arm bushings but wasn't sure about these. I was wondering if you are getting some movement in the strut assembly.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

So with the car on the rack, locking steering rack, grab each wheel at 12-6 and 3-6 and move and shake it you get nothing? Including what was stated above on strict top bushings...
Old 05-17-2020, 10:59 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Originally Posted by myflat6
How about strut top bushings? I saw you replaced the control arm bushings but wasn't sure about these. I was wondering if you are getting some movement in the strut assembly.
I replaced those maybe four or five years ago. A couple of years before having the struts rebuilt at Bilstein.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
So with the car on the rack, locking steering rack, grab each wheel at 12-6 and 3-6 and move and shake it you get nothing? Including what was stated above on strict top bushings...
Nothing shaking from 3-9 but a little bit from 12-6, top and bottom. This one bothers me, I've replaced the wheel bearings a couple of times and tried different ways to tighten them up, but they always have just a tiny bit of top-bottom play once I have them tightened up. Rebuilding the strut housings improved this a little but I don't know, maybe worth investigating. It would suck to have spindles or hubs out of round.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:08 PM
tperazzo
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Inc.
I've pulled and rebuilt the brake hardware including calipers, as well as swapped out pads a few times. No change. I haven't done it specifically to look for motion in the pads, not a big deal to give it a peek.

Would I lose centering in the steering wheel if this were so? Or would it be more a clamp letting a shaft shift axially in and out? Alignment and steering are good.

Occaaaaasionally I'll feel the hint of something in the steering wheel I get the popping, but it's uncommon enough that I'm not sure if I'm imagining it.
Axially, and it's a very slight movement. When you brake hard or reverse the chassis flexes enough for it to creak. Maybe the steering coupler is toast ?

I'm only stating the less obvious here....

Old 05-18-2020, 05:13 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Quick Reply: Who Wants to Join Me in Suspension Noise Hell?