Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bringing C02 option 911 to California?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 05:28 PM
JCNewby
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing C02 option 911 to California?

I am looking to bring a 1988 911 into California from out of state. It has the C02 US (not C03 California) emissions option.

Am I going to have a problem passing California Smog, either visual (sticker or equipment) or getting the car to pass without California emissions equipment? I am not familiar with the specific differences between US and California emissions equipment for the 1988, and if this would be a show stopper.

Thanks in advance for the advice and experience sharing.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:33 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,115 Posts

If it has a cat, stock chip, and the wire connected at the motronic next to driver seat and in good tune it will pass fine.

Mine is an 02 car. Sold in South Carolina but brought to Ca right after purchase as the owner moved to San Diego.

Mine passes fine. It did fail once and barely passed the time prior as the base idle adjustment was running very Rich. It was a very easy adjustment with an afr meter and a screw driver.

The only cars that need need to be 50 state cars are those that are defined as new. Which is less than 7500 miles. Age is not defined. It’s miles.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...t_facts/ffvr29
Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 AM
jaeger86
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do your homework before bringing this car to California and make sure that it will not have to go through a Registered Importer to pass CARB (Calif Air Resources Board) rules. If this car was built without meeting California requirements in affect at that time it can be a very expensive to go through their process to get certified.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by jaeger86
Do your homework before bringing this car to California and make sure that it will not have to go through a Registered Importer to pass CARB (Calif Air Resources Board) rules. If this car was built without meeting California requirements in affect at that time it can be a very expensive to go through their process to get certified.
This isn't accurate if the car was a US built car. The link I posted is very clear on the process. If not a US car and attempting to register, totally different story.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:25 AM
stlrj
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

California smog tests for excess CO ( carbon monoxide), HC ( hydrocarbon), and NOx ( nitrous oxide) emissions.

Quick Reply: Bringing C02 option 911 to California?