Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wonder if he was driving a 911??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 08:23 PM
jmarenas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wonder if he was driving a 911??

Finnish Police Give Record Speeding Fine
Tue Feb 10,12:49 PM ET Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

HELSINKI, Finland - Police gave a record $216,900 speeding ticket to a millionaire under a system in which traffic fines are linked to an offender's income.

The Iltalehti tabloid reported that millionaire Jussi Salonoja zoomed through the city center last weekend in a 25 mph zone and police handed him a ticket of $216,900. It didn't say what his speed was.

The fine was based on information they got directly for the inland revenue office, the Tuesday report said.

Salonoja, 27, could not be reached for comment, and police declined to discuss the alleged speeding incident until it reaches the Helsinki Regional Court at a later date.

Although it's the costliest ticket to date, it's not the first with a big price tag.

Two years ago, Anssi Vanjoki, then executive vice president of Nokia (news - web sites)'s mobile phones division, landed a $148,000 ticket after being caught doing 46 mph in a 31 mph zone on a motorcycle.

It was later lowered to about $7,500 after he showed a court that his income had dropped, but not before Finns flew into a rage over the high fine. But, after weeks of Parliament debates, discussions on TV shows and expressions of disgust in the media, Finns did nothing and the system remained.

Other hefty speeding tickets have included a $71,000 one for a professional hockey player and one for $190,000 given to one of Finland's wealthiest people.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:39 AM
kokkelix
8th Gear

He was driving a Volvo. He was going (only) 50mph in a 25mph zone.

Here in Finland the tickets are based on income, and there is no maximum sum for a ticket. Logic behind the law is that rich people should have bigger tickets because otherwise the penalty would be pointless in proportion to their wealth.

// sk

Last edited by kokkelix; 02-11-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Your logic on the fine proportional to income makes sense. For me it is another reason to think "Thank God I live in the USA"

Larry
Old 02-11-2004, 12:24 PM
jmarenas
Advanced

Cool I am with Larry EOM

Old 02-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Paul (Weissach 911)
Advanced

217 large is Lebron James type coin.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:33 PM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It particularly makes sense in areas that don't have demerit points systems. Otherwise wealthy people can just speed and the consequences are inconsequential.
I'm, not saying I beleive in the points system necessarily, because I've witnessed certain regions that are very petty about ticketting (EVERYTHING). On the other hand, you should't be able to drive 150 MPH to work everyday just because you are Leno or Letterman...
Old 02-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Ellsworth Wente
Advanced

that's outrageous. why do so many people think that just because someone has more money than someone else he/she should be penalized? it's based on jealousy. how would you feel if you worked your whole life to create wealth so you could own a 911, then have the govt slam you so hard that you'd have to sell your car or your dreams to pay a ticket? the speeding problem should be properly addressed by yanking a repeat offender's license for a period of time or requiring them to sit through a class. the Finnish people shouldn't be putting up with this... oh well, to each his own...
reminds me of another issue... why don't we have vehicle inspections and mandatory drivers ed anymore in the US? it's getting really bad around here! hunks of junk going 45 in the left lane on a 55mph road that have absolutely no concept of lane etiquette.... ugggh!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:25 PM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)

I look at it this way-I hate the thought of good drivers losing their driving privileges for driving slightly over the limit on a regular basis. I do it all the time, and hate it when cops are petty with ticket issuance. It could easily happen to the best of us. On the same hand, in an area without demerit points, I hate the thought of some rich dude with a literal license to speed because the cost of a ticket to him is the equivalent to me buying a soda.
I don't have an answer to the dilemma, but you can look at it both ways. Jealousy hadn't crossed my mind. It was more about keeping the roads proportionately safe regardless of your wealth status.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:03 PM
agentblr
Intermediate

Old 02-15-2004, 11:56 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Glad I live in the USA. That just goes to show you just how stupid big Gov. can be. Bet they have fines for clogging the toilet if your poop is too large.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:49 PM
markwemple
Instructor

I hate that "glad I live in the USA" nonsense. I'm glad to live here too but I believe that the rich should not be allowed to get away with everything just because they have more $. Doesn't anyone remember "but before the grace of God go I". Anyway nothing is a penalty unless it hurts a little. If it works, great. Kinda like when they punish big corporations with some paltry $10,000 fine. Yeah, that will work. Remeber the Exxon Valdez incident. That barely put a dent into their daily profits! Oh, and pulling licenses work. NOPE. Not unless you plan on placing them in jail too! If they have enough $ they can afford an attorney who can keep them on the road.......
Old 02-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am moving to Finland then! I would never have to worry about tickets hurting my bank account. I am poor to start with. HAHA. BEst wishes - Jay Gratton

Quick Reply: Wonder if he was driving a 911??