Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First topless run

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004 | 12:44 AM
john d 81SC
Racer

Stefang,

Welcome to the world of Targas! As I've posted here previously, driving my Targa is the most fun I've had with my clothes on! (And, yes, I know...I'll get posts from folks saying 'you mean you drive with your clothes ON?' *G*). Nothing puts a sh-t-eating grin on your face like tooling around in a 911; factor in the topfree Targa element, and it's even better. When I'm stopped at a light, I can imagine the people looking over at me wondering 'what the sam hill is that guy laughing at?'Congrats,& many happy miles!
Old 02-13-2004 | 06:06 AM
jonjeffryes
Instructor

Ah Yes Stef,

The Targa is serene - you're talking to someone raised on a diet of hairy chested (read old fashioned and poorly designed) British and Italian soft tops, kit cars in the Lotus 7 style and motorbikes...so I guess almost anything is an improvement :-)

regards

Jon
Old 02-13-2004 | 09:51 AM
Mark sP
Instructor

I always wanted and prefered the coupe. However, when I was engaged in the process of convincing my partner that a 911 was a 'comon sense' buy and that we really 'needed' one rather than wanted one, She aired her preference to the Targa.

I have learned to love the Targa shape. At certain angles something looks wrong though. Whilst from other viewpoints it looks better to me than a coupe.

Bottom line is I love the shape now but would you believe that I havent driven without the roof yet! However I only bought the car in November. Obviously I am not a wanna-be Edmund Hillary!!
Old 02-13-2004 | 09:53 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brilliant, Jon. Yes, everything is relative, isn't it. It's been years since I've owned a brit ragtop and the bikes are just in a different class/mode for me. I've spoiled myself with somewhat more cushy rides in the last decade or so (2 M3s, M-Roadster, RX7 TT - I did say it's all relative ). I did specifically want something noisier, less refined, more alive this time around. (The 944 is a track car, so it's in a class by itself anyhow). As John said "it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on". I had that feeling with the M-roadster and I really hope the Targa can recapture that. And no, I don't drive my ragtops without clothes on - the thought of sunburn in all the wrong places is not good .

Oh and Marc - 45 deg today and tomorrow. What are you waiting for? Go for a spin. You'll need that positive energy when it's back down to 0 on sunday!

Stef
Old 02-13-2004 | 10:01 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark - just how much warmer to you expect it to get in England?

Edmund Hillary didn't like the cold, he just knew how to dress. Put on a thick coat, crank the heat and get out there! Always makes people smile when they see you all bundled up in a ragtop in the middle of winter.

Common sense buy, huh. That's laying it on pretty thick.

Stef
Old 02-13-2004 | 11:00 AM
Mark sP
Instructor

LOL Stefang. It's a good job that she loves the car and drives it as much as I do But when you factor in a decidely low level of depreciation when compared to other marques, a 911 isnt quite so expensive to run as one might think.

So much so that she keeps hinting that getting a Coupe as well would be a great way to stop the arguing over who gets to drive! Shock!

Last edited by Mark sP; 02-13-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2004 | 01:38 PM
jonjeffryes
Instructor

Mark,

Go for it whilst you have the opportunity - i had to be a little more conservative so bought a 944S to accompany the 911 - still has a lift out roof mind you....oh, and the only time I've got the roof on the Targa is when the cats and dogs are falling :-)

Must be a bit warmer down south at the mo. then

atvb

Jon
Old 02-14-2004 | 12:24 PM
Ben Lovejoy
Advanced

Then there's always the Targa Plus :-)

It's a fibreglass aftermarket targa top from Pelican Parts, with both roof and rollover hoop painted to match the body:

Being the UK, it's grey and miserable here, so the proper pics somewhere scenic will have to wait, but there are some initial ones here:
http://www.benlovejoy.com/temp/911/

Ben
Old 02-14-2004 | 01:10 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!

I like that a lot. I could see myself borrowing that idea at some point in time.

Stef
Old 02-14-2004 | 05:48 PM
Ben Lovejoy
Advanced

The idea is available for hire for a small fee :-)

Ben

Quick Reply: First topless run