Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Aftermarket Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Paul Morgan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Sunroof

I am considering installing an aftermarket glass sunroof in my 1975 911S...the first two P's I owned both factory sunroofs and I enjoyed the feeling of extra space (I'm 6'4'').
I don't want to goober up the car and am wondering if anyone has any experience/impressions with a sunroof project they are willing to share. A search on the Rennlist forums turned up data on 944's (Saratoga Tops) but not much else.
Again, I'm not set on doing the aftermarket install, just looking for advice.
Thanks.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:51 PM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never, ever, heard anything good from anyone about cutting a hole in the roof of a car.

If you need more head room, consider sport seats. Geting your butt a couple inches lower helps.

Tom
Old 02-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Paul Morgan
Instructor

Tom,

I know you're right, I just hate to admit it!
In the mid seventies I parted out a 1971 2002 (I was T-boned not far from Fremont) and had a guy come and cut out the sunroof, gibblets and all, for re-install on his 2002. I didn't follow up so I don't know how it went.
Have you heard of anyone successfully doing that?
I know I'm probably swatting a dead horse...

Paul
Old 02-10-2004, 05:45 PM
David Grainger
AutoX

Default After-market sunroof

Hi Paul,

I had a local sunroof company install a WebastoHollandia Stratos 300 sunroof in my 1980 SC. Cost me about A$1400 and I have been very pleased with it. It lightens up the inside of the car and dramatically improves the airflow to the occupants. I usually leave it just cracked open about an inch or so. The multi-lingual instruction manual includes "USA Operating Instructions" so I'd be fairly sure it's marketed in the US.

Webasto has a website: http://www.webastohollandia.com

If you want I can post or email you some pictures.

Best wishes

David Grainger
Canberra, Australia
Old 02-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Paul Morgan
Instructor

David,

Thanks very much...pictures would be greatly appreciated: morganps@direcway.com
Again, thanks...all the best.

Paul
Old 02-10-2004, 07:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,745 Likes on 2,704 Posts

Paul - you're going to lose headroom with the roof closed. Don't you like the extra headroom you have now compared to the other P-cars you had with the roof closed? Sunroofs invite rattles, leaks and add weight to the worst part of the car - can you tell I'm biased
Old 02-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Ryan Perrella
Advanced

Default I may sell you an entire roof panel?

Paul,

I am actually just about to close the deal on an 87 carrera wth a sunroof. But I am looking to buy the factory roof top for a non sunroof car. The entire roof consists of the roof, the front a pillars and rear pillars and has the frame for botht eh front and rear windscreens. Now the part I want to purchase is basically the complete roof skin which would be romoved from the roof structure of frame. I woudl then weld in the new item. I could sell you the entire roof assembly which would have the factory room materials and the entire sunroof assembly. You would have some expense in having it all installed but you couldnt get more factory than that. Only thing that would be better is to sell your car and buy a factory equipped car.

Let me know if you would be interested.

The new roof skin I would want to buy is $1500 wholesale if i could get half that for the entire sunroof I would be willing to do that. Where are you located? Do you ahve a shop you trust that could do the installation?

Let me know what you think and if your interested at all.

Ryan Perrella
asenna02@aol.com
Old 02-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

I know I have had ideas in the past that I thought were brilliant at the time. Changing roofs on my P cars has never crossed my mind, even when I drank.

Larry
Old 02-11-2004, 05:10 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

Please don't put a glass sunroof in your car. My 911 does not have one, but I have an '84 VW Scirocco with one and I hate it. It was put in by the former owner. The factory sunroof is steel and pretty nice. Actually, I love sunroofs, but not glass ones. This thing rattles when it's open and it's HOT. It also raises up from the back instead of sliding back like the 911 factory ones do. I can remove it easily but there is no wind guard at the front. If you do get a glass roof make sure it's a quality installation. In the Orange county area where I live, there was a company called American Sunroof that installed the Golde sunroof on Porsches. I don't know if they still do. You might be able to install a sunroof from a wrecked car. Good luck
Old 02-11-2004, 05:58 PM
BJJones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who cuts a hole in the roof and puts one of those pants glass aftermarket sunroofs in should be shot. Period.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Tim K
Advanced

My wife's car has a aftermarket glass sunroof (it came with the car). It makes whistling noises, it rattles, and it leakes when it rains. If its weren't such a hastle to undo....
Old 02-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

BJ,
Don't sugar coat it-tell us what you really think!!

Lar
Old 02-11-2004, 09:24 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in the good 'ole USA you can do 'bout anything you want, even when it comes to Porsches & SRs. That is (one of) our strength and weakness.

I put a Webasto (OEM in many Euro cars) in my Alfetta GT many years ago -well crafted & when properly installed, quiet, watertight & long lasting.

Would I put one in a 911? No.
Should you? Sure, who cares?
Enjoy!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:28 PM
randyrap
Instructor

I too am 6'4''. Took me almost a year to find a Sunroof Delete 911. This model actually gives you close to 2'' more of head room compared to the usual factory sunroof coupes.

thanks ...................................... Randy
Old 02-18-2004, 07:54 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by BJJones
Anyone who cuts a hole in the roof and puts one of those pants glass aftermarket sunroofs in should be shot. Period.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sunroof