1981 911 SC Idle and Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Austin_C
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1981 911 SC Idle and Ignition

I have an issue with my 1981 911 sc.
Unfortunately there isn't a certain time when it does this or not it seems to crop up whenever it wants, what is happening is this I will try to describe it as best as I can.
After driving for say 30 min to an hour the ide will bounce say from 900 to 1500 very erratic and very quickly, this is accompanied by a clicking noise coming from the front compartment or underneath the the passenger side of the dask I cannot determine which.It has gotten bad enough several times that the car will shut itself off.
The electrical system doesn't cut off but the engine stops running. It has happened at idle and while under power, once as i was shifting gears and once while i was actually on the throttle.
I then had to roll start the car to get it cranked again.
Has anyone else had this kind of issue and what do i need to check first and how can i go about it?
Also added in with this when the car is under power at about 5,500 rpm's it seems to quit pulling as hard as it should.
Any help that I could get ont his would be great. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:05 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the relay that turns on the lambda computer may be bad. when it shuts off the computer it feels like you're dragging an anchor and the idle drops off and gets rough. the domelight fuse gives it power so check that first. the relay is about $5 and lives next to the tunnel under the front of the right seat. if you unplug it, and the idle doesn't change, that's the problem.

Quick Reply: 1981 911 SC Idle and Ignition