Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'88 Cab Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 08:20 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default '88 Cab Windshield?

Anyone have experience replacing a windshield in an '88 911 Cabriolet? Anyone know of any shops in the SF Bay Area that can do this properly and will work with insurance?

Thanks,
Old 03-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

I've had Safelite Repair and Replace at different times for my 88. Just check with Pelican or your local dealer to ensure you have the right part number for the rubber seal around the windshield which will likely need to be replaced depending on how old it is and how skilled the glass technician is. A good conversation with the glass installer regarding the proper seal part number is important so they don't come to a standstill. If memory serves, the original part number was replaced by a 964 part number but isn't a perfect fit and requires some trimming. Another option is to have the glass folks do the repair at a Porsche dealer or have the Porsche dealer sublet it out if you have a good relationship with your dealer. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:43 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 111 Posts

Also, if your original has the internal wires for the radio antenna, make sure the replacement does as well.

I'm lucky enough to still have the original windshield in my '85.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:39 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
If memory serves, the original part number was replaced by a 964 part number but isn't a perfect fit and requires some trimming.
Actually that refers to the targa top seals, not the windshield. The 911 windshield seals are still being provided by Porsche, and there's a new improved URO seal that reportedly fits as well as the Porsche one and is much cheaper.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 PM
DJDelMar
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to replace my original Sigla windshield on my 87 Targa due to a rock hit. USAA has referred me to Safelite who
set up an appointment at my local Safelite facility. I called them up to review the details, etc. and the manager informed me
that they " don't work on 80's " cars. Most likely they would use the cheapest after market glass installed without a new gasket
by an inexperienced installer anyway.
What is everyone doing? Mine is a green upper tint windshield with an embedded antennae with an overall tint to match
the other factory tinted glass.
Is the dealer the only option? Would the current OEM from Porsche glass even match?
It seems my insurance demands the cheapest alternative, first time USAA has let me down.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:30 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently not all Safelite locations are the same. Some have experience with air cooled 911 windshields, and some don't. For instance, there's a Safelite in the Denver area that has a guy who's done a ton of them and is really good, but that's the only Safelite place I've seen recommended. Can you ask around at other locations? You may find one with the requisite experience to do a competent job. If not, I would suggest you pay out of pocket for a local indy shop to do it for you, or have them point you to who can. USAA and most other insurance companies don't seem to be as good as they used to.

And of course, there's always DIY. It's not that difficult a job on a coupe, and easy peasy on a cab or targa. You'd have to buy the glass yourself though.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:29 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its s super easy job on a cab. Dish soap twine and 2 people and a body work stand

Id honestly go with a porsche shop that does Indy work

Also a good time to check for rust
Unsually under lower side pass side
Old 04-23-2019, 02:52 PM
DJDelMar
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well after a lot of discussion with USAA (main problem being they have third-partied their windshield claims to a Safelite entity)
I have got myself a new Sigla branded windshield made in Finland by St, Gobain. I found a local shop, Quality A.R.G.in San Marcos, that
had a wholesale source for as good as you can get windshields at a huge discount from dealer prices for probably the same piece of glass.
After multiple calls to USAA I finally was able to escape the Safelite referral monopoly and get reimbursed for my deductible. Very professionally
installed with a new gasket they recommended by the guys at Quality for around $800. No rust at all on windshield frame which is to be expected
on any Porsche 911 built after 1978. Slightly darker upper window tint than the original had and darker graphics, but that's to be expected
after 32 years.

Done...

Quick Reply: '88 Cab Windshield?