Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What to buy 87 e.2 or 74 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:30 PM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I can't understand for the life of me why they are coming on so strong right now.
^
I have to think that there are those who really loved those car growing up and don't really know the intricacies of ownership.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:15 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
There was literally almost no love for those cars 20 years ago, and I can't understand for the life of me why they are coming on so strong right now.
The lack of love was due to the engine reliability issues from a tendency to overheat because of the thermal reactors and inefficient fan. Since by now the majority of the 2.7 engines have had those issues remedied, the reason for the lack of love is pretty much gone. What we have now is a population of good middie cars with rebuilt 2.7s that are light and fun to drive. Lightness and rawness are very desirable these days, and longhoods are out of the price range of most buyers. SCs and Carreras have become so expensive that it was only natural that the relatively cheap-but-fun middies started getting more attention. More attention = higher values.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:43 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

I am in the camp that suggests for you to spend some more time looking.

The '74, if it really is that nice is certainly a worthwhile option. The thing that makes me uncertain is that only 150 miles have been put on it in the past 10 or so years after a rebuild. First, to rebuild these motors WELL is an expensive endeavor, even for someone who has the ability to do a lot of the work themselves. So if I were considering this car, I would really want to get some detailed information on what the "rebuild" comprised. If it was a thorough job with any magnesium case issues properly addressed etc., that would be fantastic. But oftentimes people use the term "rebuild" loosely. That 150 miles really weirds me out for some reason. That is not even close to breaking in the motor, it would be quite amazing to me if someone really did invest in a proper rebuild and then did not even bother with a good break-in. One other point to watch... the '74 body was before the hot-dip galvanizing, so rust is more of an issue. A car can present well, but have hidden issues (e.g. kidney bowls, top of front bumper shock mounting on outside of frunk, battery area etc.). Galvanized cars can also have corrosion issues too, but it is less likely. In any event, you have to evaluate these bodies carefully.

The '87 just sounds too tired. You will spend a lot of money on that car getting it in shape I think...

If this is your first Porsche, don't be tempted to go for a car "that needs a little work"... you will likely vastly underestimate the cost.

Quick Reply: What to buy 87 e.2 or 74 2.7