Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

HELP!!! Water on Floor Panels - 89' Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 03:57 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

^was going to mention pulling rear upholstery but sometimes ignorance is bliss - plus the only way to really know if there is corrosion is to also remove the sound deadening as well.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:55 PM
TeddyJ
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Where are you located? You could ask a shop you are using/plan to use to recommend a good glass guy. The glass goes on with no sealant, it is just the rubber gasket that holds it in place.

I wouldn't worry about that hole in the rear tunnel. Not sure what it is for (my car doesn't have it), but I thought you were describing a hole drilled down through the pan.

Not to terrify you too much, but here is a good thread on why the glass leaks are such a concern. Note the sound pad under the rear parcel shelf - you'll want to get that out and dried: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ance-item.html

To take out the rear glass you probably should cut the old gasket with a sharp utility knife from the inside. Then push while someone is on the outside to catch it. Need to be careful with the defroster wiring, not sure where the connector is located.

Everyone seems to recommend only using Porsche seals. Uro's may be getting better, but I don't have any direct experience. Place the new seal around the glass, carefully remove the trim from the old seal and re-install on the new one. Thread a rope (about the thickness of a pencil) into the seal where it sits on the body. Lube up with dish soap, then place the glass in place. While someone pushes from the outside, slowly pull out the rope. It should expand the lip of the seal around the body flange.

That's it in a nutshell, but it can be tricky. Just be glad you don't have a Targa that needs a new rear seal. Here are a couple of threads that may be useful. I couldn't find any good ones on Rennlist:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...l-71-help.html

Great thread on doing the front, some of these tips will probably help for the rear too: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...seal-body.html

Good luck!

Mark
Mark, thanks a lot for the assist. HUGE help! Thank you! I'm located in northern VA where we get a good amount of rain. We have one Porsche shop in town so I'll check them out. Definitely terrifying seeing what kind of damage these seals can do when they're not taken care of.

Right now I lean on doing it myself and tagging a buddy along. Let's just hope I don't find any serious damage underneath the rear seats!

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Ask the best Porsche air cooled shop in the area who they use for glass installs. And use them.
Torn right now, but I might just do it myself. I'll keep you posted!

Originally Posted by r911
Uro has said they are using special new rubber-like compound. I would either use what an expert old-air-cooled-911 Porsche shop uses and let them do it, or... if you cannot find such a shop near you... call people who do a lot of restorations expertly on old 911s. Many or most are in SoCal. One is TRE, owned by Dave B. (you don't want to see me try to spell his last name). There are others too.

I helped a friend do the glass on his '71 but I don't recall now what brand seals used - it was years ago anyway, so things may have changed.

As per above posts, these seals are different from all new cars (new = last couple of decades), and can be DIYed but a modern shop (and his wage slave labor) may not know what to do on these.

You might pull the rear shelf upholstery out and see what things look like first, but you have the symptomatology of R. seal-itis.
Bummer. Just moved from CA to VA. Would be nice to have shops like that close by. My next step is to remove those seats in the back. Can't say it's getting me excited.
Originally Posted by myflat6
^was going to mention pulling rear upholstery but sometimes ignorance is bliss - plus the only way to really know if there is corrosion is to also remove the sound deadening as well.
Honestly, I wouldn't be able to go to sleep at night not knowing the extent of this leak. Here's to rabbit trails and then some!
Old 12-31-2018, 06:16 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

^i get it - here is what I found when I took my rear interior out. None of this was visible until I took out the sound deadening material. I hope yours looks better than mine
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Water on Floor Panels - 89' Carrera