Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Project Phoenix - A Targa outlaw from the ashes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 07:04 PM
Porsche Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Having restored (or paid someone) a '73S, I know what you're up against. Amazing transformation and know many are envious of your abilities with
body, mechanical and electrical work. I'm looking forward to the finished product including wheels. RSR finish on a set of Fuchs would be perfect.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:06 PM
danfran
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Had some time today before storing the car (headed back to LA in a few days) so I decided to test fit the old school BBS wheels I got a few years ago.

Pretty happy with the look and the fitment. Front wheels track out 1/2" more than is ideal but think I'll be fine once I get rubber mounted.

16x8 fronts and 19x9.5 rears I believe

Am really happy with the fitment of the rears, match the fender flare perfectly.

I am extremely happy with my progress to date considering the shape she was in when I brought her home.

Hoping to get some time off in the spring to come back to the shop, rebuild the a arms in all corners, clean up the wheel wells, run my return fuel line (ran out of materials this trip), and install the final oil line so I can hear the new motor run.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:09 PM
danfran
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Porsche Dave
Having restored (or paid someone) a '73S, I know what you're up against. Amazing transformation and know many are envious of your abilities with
body, mechanical and electrical work. I'm looking forward to the finished product including wheels. RSR finish on a set of Fuchs would be perfect.
You beat me to my wheels post by a few minutes. What do you think of the BBS?

I have an obsession with gold wheels on a blue car - must be carry over from my subaru days.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:46 PM
Porsche Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by danfran
You beat me to my wheels post by a few minutes. What do you think of the BBS?

I have an obsession with gold wheels on a blue car - must be carry over from my subaru days.
Mad respect on the Subaru front as I have a 2018 WRX. Awesome car.

I like period correct wheels on my Porsche’s... it’s my thing. I think ‘80’s with BBS rims. Fuchs aren’t cheap especially trying to find 15x8 for the rear and 7’s for the front but when finished you’ll have what believe Porsche’s best wheels and they’ll hold their value too. There’s a lack of choices on tires unfortunately. If you have the means between college bills etc be sure to explore these. More than happy to help on your search.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:53 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This is amazing. Can't wait to see more....
The following users liked this post:
danfran (02-12-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 11:00 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,830 Likes on 915 Posts

Great job
danfran (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:51 AM
Bigwood
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like you guys have a great shop! Why not bolt down the lift?
Old 02-12-2020, 01:17 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The perfect car to do what ever you want to do to it and a masterful job. Thank you for saving one of the marque from the dead, and keep up the good work
Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 PM
danfran
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bigwood
Looks like you guys have a great shop! Why not bolt down the lift?
Thank you - Gpa would be very proud to hear you say that as he did most of the work himself or with help from the family.

Regarding the lift there are 3 main reasons its not bolted in:
1) the 'shop' was built years before residential lifts were affordable so no one planned for mounting points (was never intended to be a car restoration shop - more for tractors and excavation equipment for the property)
2) we installed in-floor heat in the concrete (winters, eh?) so there is no good place to retroactively do the mounts from what I understand - the in-floor heat is 1,000% worth the hassle though.
3) we do have to move the lift around from time to time when we bring in larger pieces of equipment, especially if we need to 'thaw' one or two in the dead of winter

In talking with the boss over a beer, if we were to do it all over again today we would ensure proper reinforcement concrete be poured for at least one 2-post lift and one 4-post lift before routing the water lines for heat.
Bigwood (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 05:50 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Looking out the window of Post #32 makes me want heated floors.........BURR !!
danfran (02-12-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 12:20 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Great Job. I am working on a project here in Anaheim as well. A 993 I am saving from the bone yard. Check out my thread on RL. Trying to get the glue out of the interior right now, nothing seems to work.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:36 AM
danfran
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Great Job. I am working on a project here in Anaheim as well. A 993 I am saving from the bone yard. Check out my thread on RL. Trying to get the glue out of the interior right now, nothing seems to work.
replied over on your thread - looks like a fun one!

I live in Santa Monica - DM me if you need a hand or a second look, I might be able to swing down some afternoon - adhesives are a major pain. I may be fortunate in a lot of way as my car had almost all that stuff melted off.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:34 PM
danfran
Intermediate

Well a lot has happened since the last update - I have moved back to MN to be closer to the family during the pandemic and heavy-handed lockdowns in CA.

I was able to pull the car into my gracious cousins garage and complete the following:
- Replace the wheel bearings in all 4 corners
- inspect the steering sector (surprisingly the tie rod ends are in great shape and still holding grease - so will leave them for now)
- Replaced the stub axles with the proper 100mm 6 bolt version as the 108mm 4 bolt versions were in the car. I am not sure if that was stock in 1975 or if they were just installed to make it roll - but Patrick Motorsports were the only place I could find that had the correct ones.
- Installed the axles and axle gaskets
- Installed the shifter, aftermarket coupling and some upgraded bushings on the rod and bottom of the shifter
- Install my Cayman brake calipers on the new rotors - the bolt on kit was from AASE I believe and the calipers were only $200 for the whole set so why not get better calipers for less money than stock!
- Wired in a ne fuse box from Painless Performance and wired in my key and ignition circuit
- I was also able to source some original seats from CA (cost a fortune in shipping but wanted to have the stock option available
- installed some good rubber on the BBS and took her for a maiden voyage in the snow.

I don't have pictures of all the above but it was a fast a furious 2 weeks of wrenching after work and on the weekends.

​​​​​​​

Front Brakes installed and plumbed in

Rear Brakes on and plumbed in

New stub axles and trans fluid

Axels in torqued to spec

figuring out the wiring for ignition (this was cleaned up greatly after we sorted it all out

First time moving and stopping under its own power
Old 02-02-2021, 02:43 PM
danfran
Intermediate

Here is a quick video of the maiden voyage

The following 3 users liked this post by danfran:
Dan Nagy (02-03-2021), paddlefoot64 (02-02-2021), Porsche Dave (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 03:43 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Nice! Sounded great

Quick Reply: Project Phoenix - A Targa outlaw from the ashes?