Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need suspension education on SWB 66 model

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:00 PM
Tito_Jones
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need suspension education on SWB 66 model

Hi everyone, brand new member, brand new owner. Been reading the forums for roughly 3 years and researching my dream car for 23 years and finally bought it last week. It's a SWB 1966 912. Sadly the prices of 911's are so far out of reach, that the 912 was the only option left in my budget.

I'd love to have you experts help me understand all there is to know about the difference in suspension and available upgrades for my vehicle. Little background on myself:
Been a tech since 1999, used to work at Porsche dealer, and after that owned a high end muscle car manufacturing company that built road race 1st gen Camaros. I know enough to be dangerous, and my car is a great starting point to begin performance upgrades.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Who should I look to for a great F&R suspension? I've only found restoration parts using google, and recently discovered Elephant Racing.
2. It seems that SWB is not as widely supported as the later cars are. Is the later model stuff something I can adapt to my car? Originality is not a concern on this car for me, nor is resale value. I only want the best options that will leave me smiling. I subscribe to buy once, cry once.
3. I plan on putting on larger than factory wheels so I can use a larger brake system. Seems my spindle/strut is not really supported. Can I swap later model stuff to my car?
4. Car will be primarily a street driven car. Track days are not out of the question, but not the focus. Should I bother with coil overs, or will the torsion bars be adequate?
5. If I can upgrade to later model parts, who do I look to for brakes? It seems like lots of Porsche guys use factory parts. I'm totally OK with using companies like AP Racing, Brembo, or Stoptech, but like I said, my '66 SWB has no options. What to do?

Thanks for any links or education you can offer. I'm excited to get started on hot rodding this beautiful car.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:51 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

First, welcome to Porsche air-cooled ownership and to this forum. A SWB 912 is a great platform for the street, and it will do everything you want it to do within reason (caveat that it's not a 911). It would be a good idea to drive the car for awhile as-is, learn the car and take your time to think through exactly what you want out of it, detail what has been done to it along the way, and then figure out what you want next and in what order (if anything). I strongly suggest you buy and read Wayne Dempsey's book '101 Projects for your Porsche 911' and Duane Spencer's 'The Complete Porsche 912 Guide'. Beware those books only provide enough detail to get you into trouble, though it sounds like you are not a complete novice.

Regarding your specific questions:

1. Suspension: The Porsche engineers were pretty damn good; maybe first optimize what you have and see what you think. For real upgrades, Elephant Racing is a good starting place. My racecar started life as a 1967 912, which I've converted to 911S configuration (which is a far bigger job than most folks realize). It now has fully adjustable full racing suspension front and rear, the latter of which requires replacing the SWB trailing arms with LWB or SC trailing arms, which is a big deal. It's hard to see the point in a street 912, even a "hot rod". You could easily spend a lot of money and wind up with a car that is too unpleasant to drive on the street.
2. Wheels: Most '66 912s came stock with 4.5x15 wheels. You can go to 6x15 Fuchs, but anything bigger than that will require you to flare the body. Is that worth the trouble?
3. Brakes: You are correct that none of the big aftermarket suppliers make anything compatible with SWB. Any serious upgrades will be very expensive. My 912-911S racecar is very light, and even for racing I've never felt a need to upgrade the 912 brake configuration to anything more than Pagid orange racing brakepads (which you definitely do not want for street use). Again, what is your purpose?
4. Forget coilovers, which would be a major thing to change. The torsion bars are fine. If you really get into tracking you can figure out what size you might want to change to.

To me, your priorities seem misplaced. None of the upgrades you mention make sense for a street 912 unless you plan on turning the engine into a firecracker that will rock you back in your seat but will make for a short engine lifespan. If they haven't been done before, I'd be thinking about optimizing the suspension you already have: turbo tire-rods, a bump-steer kit, shocks (Bilstein is too stiff for street use), at least a front swaybar, maybe a front shock tower brace (which may make it too stiff for your liking on the street), and then drive it for awhile to see what you think.

Best wishes, and have fun!

Rich

Last edited by raspritz; 11-27-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Tito_Jones
3rd Gear

Rich-

Thanks for the detailed response. What was involved with the rear trailing arm change over? Additionally, can the front strut/spindle can be swapped to later model if those have more brake caliper options?

Priorities are to make the car reliable, then enjoyable. Finally to upgrade for performance. I'm in the research phase, so I'm a ways out from making any changes.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:25 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

My mechanic did the trailing arm/spring plate changeover; I'm not capable of that. Big job though, and only worthwhile on a dedicated racecar (mine has north of $100K in it). Re the front strut/spindle, anything is possible given enough money, but it seems to me you are wanting something other than a Porsche 912. The braking on SWB 911s and 912s is already legendary. On the track I'll routinely be doing 110+ down a straight, hit the brake, corner hard right, and accelerate. No problem. Why mess with success? If you want to make folks think you have fancy brakes, spray paint the calipers red or something.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:16 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I agree with rasp's post #2. I changed my rear trailing arms to get the later Al ones on my '73 - not hard, but you have an SWB car so you won't go to Al. Why do you want a change over?

Replace all rubber in the suspension with new rubber from Elph. (or use polybronze in front for more feel but maybe too much feel for many people).

Revalve the shocks with digressive valving or buy new. Put good tires on. Maybe lower to Euro ht. if it isn't at that already.

S brakes might mount - not sure, but no need to "upgrade" brakes - usually heavier so a downgrade for most uses. Duct in air for the track and either get on them or off them smoothly, no riding on the things during DEs - you'll be fine.

Replace ALL rubber fuel hoses, incl. underneath next to the tank. Replace ALL rubber brake hoses. Check the ball joints & all wheel bearings. Some MY's had 'not very safe' all joints - maybe '71 or so??

You have all the skills needed and so do people w/o your experience. Bentley for an SC could help as will old articles from Upfixin' - there is an old manual for the early cars but it is sketchy; factory manuals
are $$$ but best. PET is a big help and free at Porsche's web site.

BTW, the SWB cars are very prone to a quick spin onset - more than the later LWB cars. Lots of fun if you enjoy going thru the turns backwards, otherwise not.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Tito_Jones
3rd Gear

Great advice guys.

I've been so 60's muscle car focused for the last 15 years that I am used to factory brakes being woefully inadequate. It's great to know that the pad compound can be the only item needed to make good brakes great.
Thank you for the replies, it's helping me plan and budget.

Quick Reply: Need suspension education on SWB 66 model