Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

cr210 radio volume problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 01:39 AM
Last98C4S
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry cr210 radio volume problem

Looking for any available help or suggestions... The CR 210 radio in my 1998 C4S is not providing much in the way of volume, regardless of whether it is using the CD changer, the cassette player or the radio. All the buttons and LED menus/numbers, etc appear to display and work correctly, but when I have the radio (for example) playing, the volume is very, very, very low - although it can be heard, but only when the engine is not running (but with the key turned to the 'electrical on' position, of course). Pressing the volume toggle on the left increases or decreases the sound between zero and about 0.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. I have the Digital Sound package (Nokia controls in the driver's door compartment) and 6-disc CD changer and everything is factory on the car and otherwise is working properly. I've checked the circuit connections behind the face plate and they look clean, and as I said everything seems to light up and function as expected when the buttons are pressed with the exception of the volume which will not go up beyond a very quiet whisper. I even disconnected the battery in order to 're-boot' the system and that didn't make any difference. I really hate to spend money on a new unit, and I don't see where the face plate can be purchased by itself, so if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Last98C4S; 10-25-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:13 AM
Last98C4S
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE: I pulled the unit from the dash (after watching a few videos and using the proper pull-tools, of course) and replaced it with an identical used CR210 unit purchased on e-Bay for a reasonable $245. Initially, I tried just replacing the face unit with the newly purchased one, but the sound problem was no better. After pulling the original unit I could see that parts of the wiring harness were not connected to the original unit and it subsequently took some time figuring out which plugs go in which slots on the new unit. There is a lot of information on the internet as far as what each number in each plug controls and location, etc., but not much guidance as to which COLORS of jacks plug into the corresponding slots on the back of the radio. Ultimately, the pattern of the plugs would only fit one way and that made it easy once I recognized this conformation. The new unit came with the proper code (whew) and after replacing the unit into the dash, everything looks and works as it came from the Stuttgart. I'm holding onto the old unit as it is original to this car, and I honestly wonder if it works as well as the new one, as the yellow harness was definitely not plugged into the back of the original CR210 when I pulled it from the dash, and I'm thinking that this alone may have been responsible for the sound issues...

Quick Reply: cr210 radio volume problem