911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Why do people park ridiculously close?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018 | 11:36 PM
minthral
Pro

Default Why do people park ridiculously close?

Maybe I’m just venting...

Its been many times now where people park so close to me that there is literally almost no room for me to climb into the car. Usually they park with their passenger side on my driver’s side, but today the person parks as close as they can even though it would make it difficult for even them to get out. They are able to park anywhere in the open lot and choose to get inches away from where I park...intentionally far away from everyone else.

I overhear an older couple behind me at the grocery store line giggling about how they parked so close to a “porch” and hoping the owner doesn’t see them. Of course they’re too small minded to realize it might be the younger guy getting their ID checked to buy beer in front of them. I get to my car and notice the situation...an old clunker scion parked so close that I wonder how’d the driver have room to exit. After panic checking my car for door dings, I load the groceries hoping that they’ll be out behind me to move their car, but then I see in the store window that they decided to eat inside, making periodic glances at me. My car has no door dings or any visible damage, so I decide its best to not comfront them insidr else they may move their car after I **** them off and possibly slam their door into mine. Plus I was really tired with a slighy headache and didn’t want to deal with it.

Just me or are others experiencing similar on occasion?
Old 09-03-2018 | 10:34 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Had the same thing happen tome a few time with the Targa my Mini.
With the Mini, I usually lean on the door when I am getting in my car an if I leave a mark on the other car, too bad, they should have been considerate to leave enough space for someone to get into the car.

My brother once walked out to his car i a parking lot and an SUV was parked with it's front bumper on top of the bumper of his 1980 mint condition VW Cabrio.

He called the cops and the officer and my brother waited for the owner of the SUV to show up.
Owner of the SUV denied he hit my brothers car and stated that my brother must have ran into his SUV and was threatening my brother that he would file a claim for damages to front bumper.

Cop could not do anything without proof of fault :-(
Old 09-03-2018 | 12:31 PM
myflat6
Drifting

I once came out to my SC to find that a lady had parked her car behind it with her bumper resting against the rubber bumperetts on my car. I guess those giant ugly things have a use after all
Old 09-03-2018 | 01:30 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

I have a lot less tolerance than you when it comes to my Porsche ... don't care so much for the
other vehicles in our fleet although it still pisses me off !
Work colleague of mine got squeezed so tight he had to go in by the passenger side, he told me he ended up unscrewing and throwing away all four tire valves on the
other car.
Hmmmmm... parking lot rage ??? ... lol
Old 09-03-2018 | 04:32 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

If they can't park properly, it's highly likely they can't drive either.
Old 09-03-2018 | 08:20 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

I don't park my early 911 in store parking lots.

That's why the Boxster was invented.
Old 09-04-2018 | 12:57 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Guys, it's just a car...
Old 09-06-2022 | 08:55 PM
Jayboston
1st Gear

Originally Posted by minthral
Maybe I’m just venting...

Its been many times now where people park so close to me that there is literally almost no room for me to climb into the car. Usually they park with their passenger side on my driver’s side, but today the person parks as close as they can even though it would make it difficult for even them to get out. They are able to park anywhere in the open lot and choose to get inches away from where I park...intentionally far away from everyone else.

I overhear an older couple behind me at the grocery store line giggling about how they parked so close to a “porch” and hoping the owner doesn’t see them. Of course they’re too small minded to realize it might be the younger guy getting their ID checked to buy beer in front of them. I get to my car and notice the situation...an old clunker scion parked so close that I wonder how’d the driver have room to exit. After panic checking my car for door dings, I load the groceries hoping that they’ll be out behind me to move their car, but then I see in the store window that they decided to eat inside, making periodic glances at me. My car has no door dings or any visible damage, so I decide its best to not comfront them insidr else they may move their car after I **** them off and possibly slam their door into mine. Plus I was really tired with a slighy headache and didn’t want to deal with it.

Just me or are others experiencing similar on occasion?
I no the feeling i stay in a condo worst decision i made in a long time there is no privacy here i have two nice vehicles and people who live over here want to park ridiculously close to my car they do it to me so when I read your post that tells me that you have a nice car people park close to nice cars they like i badly want another home with a garage to keep my car safe from mindless people who want to tear up your car with their car doors
Old 09-07-2022 | 10:38 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r911
I don't park my early 911 in store parking lots.

That's why the Boxster was invented.
I agree. My air-cooled's are too valuable to risk. I would park my 911 100 or more spaces from the nearest car and walk to be safe. When I come out of the store usually some POS or 2 are parked next to me and close. They had 100 other spaces they could have parked in so no more parking lots for me.

Originally Posted by raspritz
Guys, it's just a car...
I used to say that but when I have open offers for multiple 6 figures it is no longer just a car.

Last edited by cobalt; 09-07-2022 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2022 | 10:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cobalt
I agree. My air-cooled's are too valuable to risk. I would park my 911 100 or more passes from the nearest car and walk to be safe. When I come out of the store usually some POS or 2 are parked next to me and close. They had 100 other spaces they could have parked in so no more parking lots for me.

I used to say that but when I have open offers for multiple 6 figures it is no longer just a car.
then sell it if you ae scared to park it .

you guys just haven't figured it out have you ... the trick is not to park miles away like your car is a unicorn , there will always be some D-bag that will teach you a lesson .... hide in plain site... i always park between 2 4 door cars that cant possible touch mine... then i am temporarily safe... one of those has to leave and another one pull in for any danger , and presumably a 2 door with someone with a bad attitude , has never happened and i have never had a door ding. ... statistically speaking you are better off than if you park it next to open spots that an unknown can park next to .. plus i never park for long so usually same cars are there when i come back..
Old 09-07-2022 | 12:53 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
then sell it if you ae scared to park it .

you guys just haven't figured it out have you ... the trick is not to park miles away like your car is a unicorn , there will always be some D-bag that will teach you a lesson .... hide in plain site... i always park between 2 4 door cars that cant possible touch mine... then i am temporarily safe... one of those has to leave and another one pull in for any danger , and presumably a 2 door with someone with a bad attitude , has never happened and i have never had a door ding. ... statistically speaking you are better off than if you park it next to open spots that an unknown can park next to .. plus i never park for long so usually same cars are there when i come back..
By me if you park close to an entrance or amongst cars unless there's miles of space you are guaranteed to get a door ding or worse. My Ford raptor is full of people that just don't care. The extensions on the wheel wells need repainting from people squeezing by with their shopping carts. I had a woman in her S class MB once slam her door so hard into my Cayenne it left a 3/4" indent. When I asked for her info she told me to F off and proceeded to walk inside. I called the police who took care of it, she threw me $200 and said to leave her alone. Just downright scary how bad it has become lately. At least I have a friend who is an amazing at removing dents. I have seen people scrape their car along the entire length of another and just drive off. Around me the only way to protect the car is to not take it to a parking lot period. I have other cors worth sacrificing. So my classics are for driving not parking.
The following users liked this post:
oldskewel (09-07-2022)
Old 09-09-2022 | 12:22 PM
Mlrjr
Rennlist Member

"nothing that a shopping cart zip tied to the door handle wont cure"
Old 09-09-2022 | 01:14 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I made the mistake early on of parking my 2006 Ford GT in a regular parking space. Two parked on either side of me, at a safe considerate distance, but with the doors on a GT, the only way to get in is to swing them very wide. Hence when I returned, I could not open the doors enough to get in the car. Had to wait for the one person to return from shopping!!! (LOL)

The following users liked this post:
Mlrjr (09-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Why do people park ridiculously close?