Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Exhaust smell inside car

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004 | 09:10 PM
dascar
Advanced

Default Exhaust smell inside car

My 84 3.2 with 135k has decided to become my new source of mind altering entertainment (replacing my favorite beer) by leaking exhaust gases into the interior. Has anyone else experienced this? Where is this most likely coming from? Even if my exhaust itself has a small leak (gasket) how is it so easily getting into the canopy? Any advice would be much appreciated before I end up driving myself into oncoming traffic during a hallucination.
thanks!
Dave
Old 01-13-2004 | 09:56 PM
jonnyw
Advanced

Dave Just enjoy it!! hehe no just kidding.

The heating system relies on your exaust to provide heat on the car. A pretty simple system actually and in most cases easy to fix.

What exaust setup do you have installed on your car currently ? That could help us figure what and where it could be coming from?

Feel free to email me.
Old 01-14-2004 | 12:29 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

It's likely your heat exchangers have rusted through so exhaust is getting into the heating system. My '83 did this recently, and I'm using it as an excuse to go to SSIs. My heater valves had also rusted open which is why I couldn't stop the exhaust entering the car, even though it was summer.

Emanuel
Old 01-14-2004 | 01:30 AM
anh911
Track Day

You are in Denver so I'm guessing that you want to keep the heat. Sounds like it's time for new heat exchangers. Like Emanual said, you might want to check into backdating the system with SSi as they flow much better. Depends on how you use the car.
Old 01-14-2004 | 01:37 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi:

Whatever you do, do NOT delay in fixing this as CO is very very toxic.

It likely a cracked tube but either get a used set of stock HE's or the SSI's which do require a dual-inlet muffler and some different oil lines

This is a serious problem!
Old 01-14-2004 | 09:40 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Steve is issuing a serious warning..
You may feel a headache before passing out. Your local FD may test the cabin for you if you ask.
Old 01-14-2004 | 11:05 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Yep, you will turn cherry red from the CO. Deadly!
Old 01-16-2004 | 02:43 PM
racemor
Racer

These are all good things to check. I had the same problem, but in my case it turned out to be the seam of the sport muffler coming undone. The exhaust was being blown onto the back of the license plate panel and into the engine bay. The source of the leak was not obvious until I took the panel off and found the back of it completely turned black. Not sure if this is the same possibility in your '84, but worth a look.

Quick Reply: Exhaust smell inside car