Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Red vs factory Irish Green

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:23 PM
Keen01
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red vs factory Irish Green

I am conflicted as to what I should do regarding the color of my 71 911E. It left the factory in Irish green but was painted once in Guards red. I am considering returning the car to its original Irish green as it is not a common color but find myself concerned whether it would impact it negatively in the event I must part with the car. I would appreciate any thoughts the esteemed members of this fourum may have. With thanks.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Irish green
Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Returning a car to its factory color always enhances the value and not diminish it. Irish Green is such a cool late 60's/early 70's color. If your budget allows I say go for it but if I were you I would ensure that the money is first spent on the mechanicals before I change the color. A good glass out paint job is $$$$.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:30 AM
union
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Irish Green no doubt.

Just saw one done by my painter and it’s a great color. If you are near SF Bay Area, let me know and I can show you it in person if it’s still at the shop. Painter is good and reasonable.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:32 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Factory color for sure! I think there are probably more buyers looking to avoid Guards Red than there are looking to buy it anyways.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:42 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Original Irish Green.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

I totally disagree with the others so far. The car has already been repainted; the value of original paint is gone forever. Changing it back to Irish green will slightly enhance value, maybe 5% at most. That is irrelevant. The question is what color car do you want? It is your car, and if you are going to repaint it, it's a blank canvas. When I got my '69 it was electric yellow, which was ridiculous. Before that, it had been red, tan, and originally Irish green. I don't like Irish green (a very common color, by the way). I repainted it tangerine. It is your car. Only your opinion matters.

Rich
Old 06-14-2018, 11:51 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

The OP is concerned if changing the car's color back to factory color would impact the value negatively. So it was not about likes or dislikes (or common vs uncommon color) but specifically about what it would do to the value. You painted your '69 from a non-Porsche "ridiculous" electric yellow to such a cool period correct color of Tangerine. Without a doubt the money you spent increased the value of your car. While I dont know if Irish green will enhance the value by 5 or 10% but I can guarantee you that it will likely increase the pool of potential buyers significantly (which is worth more than 5% of the value) as opposed to its current Guards red which is not a period correct color. My advice was based on his concerns about value/potential resale.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:23 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Green - Red is an '80s coked up color

but keep it if in good condition - at least, until you get a few tickets
Old 06-14-2018, 06:12 PM
proporsche
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

well ,you are boys all right..but i did not see anywhere from the OP that he wants to sell his 911?
Personally i own my 911 for over 20 years and i did not get it back in 1995 in order to sell it one day....
So if you do Irish green which most of the US people always dislike in the 1980`s..(in Europe those days everybody hated white) now everybody likes both...that is cool but then again it is your 911 and if you doing the paint job for you do as you like and forget the resale value....most important get it running and drive it and enjoy.......the thrill of it...

that is just my 2 cents to this

Ivan
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 PM
Rod_Ez
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
I totally disagree with the others so far. The car has already been repainted; the value of original paint is gone forever. Changing it back to Irish green will slightly enhance value, maybe 5% at most. That is irrelevant. The question is what color car do you want? It is your car, and if you are going to repaint it, it's a blank canvas. When I got my '69 it was electric yellow, which was ridiculous. Before that, it had been red, tan, and originally Irish green. I don't like Irish green (a very common color, by the way). I repainted it tangerine. It is your car. Only your opinion matters.

Rich
I totally agree with Rich. It is your car, or soon to be, and you should paint it the color you want. Personally I like the green over the red, but that's just my opinion. Just have fun rebuilding it.

Rod
Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I believe Irish Green is the way to go. Aside from being a beautiful color (IMHO) it is the original color. Here in CA we see way too many red 911 cars. If Irish Green is a color you like, then it's an easy solution. I believe it will enhance the value of the car as it will be the original color. However, given it went from green to red and now possibly back to green, I would make sure to paint it complete and correctly. When these cars gets many many coats of paint on them chipping can become an issue. It all comes down to what you want. I hope regardless of the color choice, it comes out beautiful so you can enjoy it for years to come.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

My two cents, unless the car has been heavily modified (flares etc.) and is original in most other ways, a professional high quality repaint in the original color (and a holy Grail color like Irish green, at that), is going to increase the value by way more than 5%. Puts the car in a different league altogether. A paint job like that is $30k, but it's a 911E so a pretty valuable car. In my view it's a no-brainer.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:01 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

absolutely no question, go back to the original Irish Green.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:36 PM
Keen01
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to all the members who have expressed their thoughts on this matter. Very much appreciated. It has reaffirmed my intentions to return it to is's factory color. Many thanks.

Quick Reply: Red vs factory Irish Green