Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche- The Downward Spiral...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 05:51 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

IMO there are two types of "quality" when it comes to any product segment.

There is the Toyota or Honda type: very reliable, totally dependable, but appliance-like with easily-detectable cost-cutting design elements, as though designed by a computer, and unlikely to stir any serious passion or loyalty, or to make anyone legendary; but clearly capable of selling to millions of soulless consumers.

Then there is the (old) Porsche type: solid and reliable where it counts for performance, with uniquely class-leading design and semi- or truly exotic content that isn't designed to appeal to the masses, understandably at a premium cost.

Porsche is trying to glean the best characteristics of the first type, which is understandable. The angst among many of us that they are leaving the second type of thinking behind, while still paying it lip service and milking it for marketing value. If they become in spirit a Toyota or Honda in the process, they will lose their core base of support and risk becoming insignificant.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:17 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this thread on a search for something completely different, but I wonder if anyone's opinions have changed at all now that we have the Cayman S and the LMP2 Race Car that have just been unveiled...Would be interesting to see...

Anyone have a different opinion than almost 2 years ago with the new events at Porsche?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:05 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cole, I think this belongs in OT, where endless contentions over the past, present & future of Porsche thrive. However, here on the 911 Forum, where everyone is pretty mellow (or at least keeps it cool), I bet we like good old Porsches, good new ones & that the Cayman, 997 & RS Spyder are viewed as good (or great) new ones.

From some of what I read over on the CaymanS Forum, there are those that just won't take yes for an answer. T'was ever thus.

The old thread reminds me we haven't heard from some good contributors in awhile - Ed Bighi is one who always had good insight on 911 driving techniques & was knowledgable on performance upgrades.

Also, Randy's comment, "What made it _your_ club, Bosco?" Great laugh!

Quick Reply: Porsche- The Downward Spiral...