Shift tube bushing question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:49 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shift tube bushing question

I am installing a Wevo shifter on my 85 911 with 915 transmission. I just received a new shift tube bushing as the old one had a significant amount of clearance (slop) around the tube. This is the bushing that goes on the L-bracket under the shifter base. I just got the replacement bushing and it has the same diameter as the old one, and therefore, the same amount of slop. Is this correct or did I get the wrong part?
Old 05-04-2018, 11:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

got a pic ? I'm not convinced its a tight friction fit but I do remember some lube on the shift rod ..
Old 05-04-2018, 12:19 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

No picture because apparently my computer is having trouble receiving the photo from my phone that I just sent it. But whatever. I am going to reassemble with the new bushing. Just disappointed that it is such a sloppy fit, just like the old one. Replacing this bushing could never help with shifting, but I have it all apart and the new bushing is installed in the bracket. I tested the Wevo with the old bushing the other day and it is an awesome upgrade compared to my 33 year old worn out shifter. I feel that this new bushing will do nothing...
Old 05-04-2018, 12:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah I have to agree .. I think the mantra of " change all the bushings" runs deep in the air cooled world as something often parroted on the internet and I feel it holds little technical merit also . The ones in the shift coupler absolutely ( if you get the right ones ) , but the others I think not so much.

I have heard good things about the wevo shift coupler, did you get that one to compliment your shifter ?
Old 05-04-2018, 03:52 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I agree on the Wevo shifter coupler, I got that and it was a vast improvement over my completely worn out original coupler. The L-bracket bushing did not need to be replaced, but it was $9 and easy enough. That bushing provided no performance change when replaced. I still need to do final adjustments on the Wevo shifter, but that is very minor and this thing is the greatest modification I have ever done to any car. Holy crap, this shifter makes all the difference, wow wow wow. My original shifter had deteriorated over 33 years until it felt like the shifter stalk was made out of flexible rubber. The Wevo feels perfect.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
Yes, I agree on the Wevo shifter coupler, I got that and it was a vast improvement over my completely worn out original coupler. The L-bracket bushing did not need to be replaced, but it was $9 and easy enough. That bushing provided no performance change when replaced. I still need to do final adjustments on the Wevo shifter, but that is very minor and this thing is the greatest modification I have ever done to any car. Holy crap, this shifter makes all the difference, wow wow wow. My original shifter had deteriorated over 33 years until it felt like the shifter stalk was made out of flexible rubber. The Wevo feels perfect.
iimagine pretty pricey for the shifter and coupler no ?

can you put your original rubber boot over it ? ( I don't know a whole lot about them really )
Old 05-04-2018, 06:06 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the shifter is $595 and the coupler is $195. It was a bit difficult to install, but I like those types of projects. The removal of the center console is the hardest part of the job. I got the shift lever that is exactly the same diameter as the stock one. The rubber boot and my leather shift boot cover all fit on the Wevo lever and I even reused the old crush sleeve and put my original shift **** back on. Visually you cannot tell it is under the boot, looks completely original. If you do not have a leather boot cover then the original rubber boot fits and also looks stock. When in neutral my old shifter would move left and right easily and not return to the 3rd/4th gear plane. The lever was not spring loaded to return to center and had significant slop and wobble even when in a gear. The Wevo has the perfect spring tension feel and returns the lever to the 3rd/4th gear plane with precision. Downshifting while changing gear planes (3rd to 2nd, or 5th to 4th) is extremely accurate and almost effortless. You would have to really try to money-shift from 5th to 2nd. It has been installed for 1 day, and I love it so far. Still need to finish getting the console back in...
Old 05-05-2018, 02:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Very nice. My stock shifter is exactly as you describe. So maybe i will upgrade also
Old 05-06-2018, 12:45 PM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
and this thing is the greatest modification I have ever done to any car. Holy crap, this shifter makes all the difference, wow wow wow. The Wevo feels perfect.
^

So glad I am not the only person who feels this way about the Wevo I installed a few months back............. I love mine and feel it's one of the best improvements I have ever done to a car I have owned (built). Love mine.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:21 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Seine Shifter after reading endorsements here from some track guys. Similar to Wevo with the option to get an entire assembly ready to install. Mine has worked well for over two years.

Either way, I think it is a nice improvement.

Sam
Old 05-11-2018, 04:14 PM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Very nice. My stock shifter is exactly as you describe. So maybe i will upgrade also
Sounds like I'm due too. Been wondering about the spring tension and centering. I guess I have found the solution.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:33 PM
Carrera3
Intermediate

Sam, does your boot fit over your Seine assembly? I heard/read the standard boot does 'not' fit.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:53 AM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Yes the boot fits over the shifter. As per the Seine instructions, I cut a small slit to accommodate the spring tension adjustment. Boot fits fine.

Quick Reply: Shift tube bushing question