1988 Targa Mod Suggestions?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:26 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1988 Targa Mod Suggestions?!

Hello Rennlist friends!

I'm getting the itch to spend money that I shouldn't be spending to update and modify my 1988 911. I wanted to get some people's input on what they have done that to theirs and have enjoyed.

On the way soon: Billy Boat one in one out exhaust paired with a cat bypass pipe. Hopefully I will get a little more deeper tone rumble compared to the Dansk Sport 70MM that i have. The Dansk sings above 4500 RPMs BUT below that it's just too quiet for my taste. I did lots of research and searing on here and Pelican board and it seems like this one is really personal preference. Not a ton of videos on Youtube with the Billy Boat on a 3.2 but we will see soon enough.

My car appears lowered and I'm not sure exactly what type of suspension setup is currently on it. I just got car last year and when it was on the lift it looked like stock black shocks but the ride is harsh. Any suggestions on suspension setup for spirited backroad driving? I don't track car but want something firmer than stock but much softer than my current setup.

Shifter works fine but I know people swear by the Wevo and Rennshift SSK. Are thse a HUGE improvement and worth it? seems like people on forums say yes.

thanks!
leon
Old 04-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Whatever you do, don't put oversized wheels on it. Old cars with big wheels look goofy as ****.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:23 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by spreeleon
Shifter works fine but I know people swear by the Wevo and Rennshift SSK. Are thse a HUGE improvement and worth it? seems like people on forums say yes.
^
Just did the Wevo and the PSJ. I can't believe the difference. If only one mod were allowed on an 88......this mod would be my choice.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Can't go wrong with Bilstein Sport (green). Also heard good things about the new KWs. https://www.kwsuspensions.com/classicporsche911
Old 04-17-2018, 09:34 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Hello Rennlist friends!

I'm getting the itch to spend money that I shouldn't be spending to update and modify my 1988 911. I wanted to get some people's input on what they have done that to theirs and have enjoyed.

On the way soon: Billy Boat one in one out exhaust paired with a cat bypass pipe. Hopefully I will get a little more deeper tone rumble compared to the Dansk Sport 70MM that i have. The Dansk sings above 4500 RPMs BUT below that it's just too quiet for my taste. I did lots of research and searing on here and Pelican board and it seems like this one is really personal preference. Not a ton of videos on Youtube with the Billy Boat on a 3.2 but we will see soon enough.

My car appears lowered and I'm not sure exactly what type of suspension setup is currently on it. I just got car last year and when it was on the lift it looked like stock black shocks but the ride is harsh. Any suggestions on suspension setup for spirited backroad driving? I don't track car but want something firmer than stock but much softer than my current setup.

thanks!
leon
Take a look at my sig.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:36 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Wevo engine mounts as well as their " hard" pillow shifter linkage bit is a nice improvement in shifter
feel.
I would improve in the suspension dept before going to the more noise route ... actually i'm not a good example to follow
as i "improved " way too many things on my car !!!
Old 04-17-2018, 04:21 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

First, find out what type of suspension setup is currently on it - then you can make changes or replace the old bushings.

Bushings last only a few years on these cars. Do you have any receipts or work orders from the POs?

See this pic? This car had less than 1,000 miles on it...
Old 04-17-2018, 04:33 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Hard to say with out knowing what has already done to the car. Off the top of my mind some simple ways to spend money.....

H4 or projector head lights if you do night time driving
Headlight relay mod, this is almost a must if it hasn't been done.
Turbo tie rods.
SW chip.

More complicated ways to spend money....
Suspension improvement/refresh
How old are your engine bay fuel lines?
Old 04-17-2018, 05:39 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old man neri
How old are your engine bay fuel lines?
^
I'm doing this right now and freshening up the engine bay.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:44 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by AG81
^
I'm doing this right now and freshening up the engine bay.
Gotta love this forum and all the kind helpful people on this site. I will look into the fuel lines and also very interested in upgrading the suspension as mine rides VERY VERY rough. I know the suspension changes will be rather costly as it will require not only new parts and installation but alignment as well. Anyone have a link or site that has a nice simple breakdown of the suspension parts and setup of these 3.2s? Thanks for the Bilstein suggestion will be looking into those for sure.

I can't wait for the Billy Boat muffler to arrive!!

Also, in terms of the Rennshift shifter has anyone here had any experience with it? Is it really THAT much better compared to the stock G50 shifter? I drove a 964 once and LOVED the feel of that shifter. I know overall it's the same g50 transmission but updated but i'd love to get my shifter to feel more solid like the shifter I used on the 964.

Thanks again all!
Leon
Old 04-18-2018, 09:39 AM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Also, in terms of the Rennshift shifter has anyone here had any experience with it? Is it really THAT much better compared to the stock G50 shifter? I drove a 964 once and LOVED the feel of that shifter. I know overall it's the same g50 transmission but updated but i'd love to get my shifter to feel more solid like the shifter I used on the 964.
^
I am not going to mention this again. I don't want to be that guy who keeps making a recommendation on a part or mod I have done. The Wevo shifter is the best modification you can make on a G-50 trans car.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:41 AM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SW chip.
As a newbie.......what is the SW chip and what are the plus and minus of it?
Old 04-18-2018, 10:44 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaPaul
As a newbie.......what is the SW chip and what are the plus and minus of it?
Sorry. Steve Wong Chip. It's an after market chip that replaces the stock fuel mapping. Search for it here or on Pelican and you will get a lot and a lot of opinions out there.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:09 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

^
I am not going to mention this again. I don't want to be that guy who keeps making a recommendation on a part or mod I have done. The Wevo shifter is the best modification you can make on a G-50 trans car.
heheh thanks!! I have done research on forums and people like yourself swear by it online but then almost every mechanic i have talked to tell me that for g50 the shifter ssk upgrades are not a huge benefit. But i think your comment is the final suggestion i needed to save up and get one of the wevo or rennshift ssk. If it makes the shifter feel anything similar to the 964 shifter i am game!

thanks
Old 04-18-2018, 02:11 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

^
Sorry. Steve Wong Chip. It's an after market chip that replaces the stock fuel mapping. Search for it here or on Pelican and you will get a lot and a lot of opinions out there.
im rather newbie too but from my understanding the wong chip helps optimize your fuel mapping to give your car the best engine hp performance. People swear by it. I have an older authority chip but my upgrade to the wong chip down the line.

Quick Reply: 1988 Targa Mod Suggestions?!