Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

VDO Gage Substutite

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 07:10 PM
si Banker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDO Gage Substutite

Does VDO make a voltage gage which could be used to replace the clock in a 87-89 911? I could care less about the time.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:54 PM
BartB
Intermediate

I've been looking as well. My quest is to find a voltage gauge to replace the oil level half of the fuel gauge. The clock may be irrelevant, but my oil gauge is completely useless.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:53 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aircraft Spruce may be able to custom make any gauge you want.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:41 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

An amp gauge may be more meaningful, but also more pain to wire.

Measure the diameter of the stock hole and assembly. Then try www.summitracing.com for something with a black face that looks in place. I am positive that there is a size that fits or is close enough, so that you can either sleeve it a bit or opent he dash hole some.

Okay. I got curious. This is the closest that I could find quickly. The visible glass portion of the 911 clock is pretty close to 3" in diameter. The VDO gauge here is 2 5/8:

While a water temp gauge is shown, the volt gauge in that line will look similar. A "ring" of 3/16 width missing between the clock and the VDO gauge should make for a pretty decent home install, maybe even using the clock housing or a home made adapter ring.

If that's too 'custom', give palo alto speedometer a call. http://www.paspeedo.com/ I am sure they can hook you up / customize this for you.

George
Old 01-01-2004, 04:44 AM
sanchez
Advanced

Happy New Year!

I wanted a voltmeter in my 81 SC since I bought it. Some aftermarket companies make a panel that fits into the storage/tape hole in front of the shifter. Rather than pay $100 for a piece of plastic, I made my own, using a piece of sheet metal cut to fit the hole. I then covered it with tan leather from the back of my factory seats (they are torn and will eventually be redone in leather). I was able to mount 2 gauges (voltmeter and air/fuel meter) and still have room for extra switches. This is completely reversible.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:44 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Todd on the console act.. A quick scan of the needle position is doable.. ie: you don't have to concentrate on the gauge like it is a tach. A voltmeter is probably the best gauge up-grade you can do to a 911.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:21 PM
si Banker
Advanced

Default VDO

Thanks for the info; I am going to order the gage and go from there. I will also try to get a salvage clock to experiment on.

I have a friend who is a machinist so it will be easy to fabricate a ring or spacer and anodize it to match.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:44 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Hi Banker:

If you call Summit, they may be able to point you to something that is 3" in diameter. Often they have more in stock than what their catalogs (online and printed) show.

I am jealous. I need a machinist friend too! There is nothing nicer than black anodized aluminum stuff!!!

George
Old 01-02-2004, 12:55 PM
si Banker
Advanced

Default Machinist

If you really want to feel bad..........the guy I use will first do a cad drawing of the part and e-mails me the drawing with the G-codes. I get most of the things done on a EDM but some are still done on a mill or lathe. EDM is so precise that he can cut a dime in half so you can have a coin with two heads!

The company he works for does a large amount of work for aero space or bio tech industries.

I am truly spoiled

Quick Reply: VDO Gage Substutite