Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta agree with a few of these guys. We need to do our part and keep waving. If someone doesn't wave back then feel free to etch their number plate in stone and ignore them for all time. In fact post their plate on rennlist and we can all black list them from the wave. It really turns me off when other Porsche owners don't wave so lets keep waving all 5 fingers no matter if they are driving a 914 or a GT3! Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 01-02-2004, 09:55 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ked
That way, you'll be proficient enough to stop & help repair the Marelli electrical & Spica injection systems (which is why they are waving at you in the first place).

Dude, that's why the 944 guys wave AT EACH OTHER!!

Old 01-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Boxster WAVE????

Originally posted by jmarenas
Drove around alot today, sun is out 45 degrees for Michigan it is like an indian summer II in December!! and as usual get the "wave" from Boxster owners, I decided not to wave back, am I pompus A#%@%, or is the ediqutte to wave to ANY other porsche??? Obviously I am partial to 911 owners. Happy New Year.
pompous A#$!!!

Just wave, a Porsche is a Porsche!
Elitist crap is just that! crap!
Old 01-03-2004, 12:13 PM
DGlenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Boxster WAVE????

Originally posted by Marc Gelefsky
pompous A#$!!!

Just wave, a Porsche is a Porsche!
Elitist crap is just that! crap!
I hate to say it, but I agree. Why would one purposely not wave back at someone. That is horribly unfriendly. Whether they are in a Yugo, a Boxster, or an Enzo, why would you not wave? I can understand not initiating they wave, but if someone else is friendly enough to wave to you, then you should have the common courtesy to return the wave.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:11 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

Ked is right about the Marelli electrics, they were almost as bad as Lucas.I pulled an Alfa out of a campground in the High Sierras in 1958. The electrics were dead and it wouldn't start. The owner said he was going to buy an American car. I almost bought an Alfa at that time.It was a tossup between the Alfa and the Speedster. The 1300 Veloce had a jewel of an engine with dual Webers that would rev to 8000 rpms and sound great doing it. It had better brakes than the Porsche, but the driving position was impossible.It was a neat car,but I'm Sure glad I decided on the Porsche.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:18 PM
jmarenas
Advanced

Default OK I AM WAVING!!!!

I stuck a suction cup on the inside of my windsheld with a spring on it glued to a bright yellow hand shape with all fingers intact (not to offend anyone) that rocks back and forth and says SMILE on in in bold black letters. (picked up on e-bay Close out e-store sale). Now I wave to EVERY make and model on the road.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:24 PM
DGlenn
Racer

There you go, that is the spirit.

Old 01-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Some of you foreigners on the east coast actually had common sense in promoting the wave. Here in "God is on our side" California we wave at all Porsches.. you have to as they may shoot at you! Oh, I hope I didn't offend the slush and snow crowd on the "wrong" side the the country.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:56 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flat6, Indeed, I started w/ Alfas before my 356. We're fortunate to have these choices - you can't go wrong in either case - or both (my approach). Classic Alfas (750, 101, 105) seem to be going up in value - must've already been fixed (pretty much). Cheers!
Old 01-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Larry Harris
Some of you foreigners on the east coast actually had common sense in promoting the wave. Here in "God is on our side" California we wave at all Porsches.. you have to as they may shoot at you! Oh, I hope I didn't offend the slush and snow crowd on the "wrong" side the the country.
No offense taken, just spent 10 days in So Cal and one thing I noticed, You people cant freakin drive!!!sheeesh!!

No offense
Old 01-04-2004, 10:58 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Mark,
I agree with you. The roadways in California, at least southern Ca., are simply dangerous. I use the freeways quite abit and everyday is an adventure in motoring, more and more bad drivers. I was just kidding about the midwest and east coast. I grew up in St. Louis, Mo and saw my share of snow and road salt.

God bless and happy driving to all my Porsche friends back east.

Larry Harris
Old 01-04-2004, 05:45 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess I like to wave. I wave at Porsche's and any other interesting "enthusiast-type" cars, Lotus, Ferraris, Alfa's etc. I drive the same remote canyon route everyday to work and usually encounter a couple fun cars along the way. I see a particular Lambo Muira at least once a week(can you imagine what it takes to run that on a regular basis? Got to love that) going the opposite direction. At first I got no response to my waves, now some 3 years later, the wave from the Muira driver is very enthusiatic. So cool! I'm sure at some point we'll see each other at some car gathering and have a great chat over a pint! That's what cars are all about! Happy Holidays my Brethren!
Old 01-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Paul491 Cadrobbi
Instructor

I, too, grew up in Southern Cal in the 60's. I remember well the head light flashes, hand waves and the occasional horn “toot” amongst Porsche drivers as well as other marques. At the time, I was a humble driver of a lowly VW "bug" who often fanaticized of driving a 356 or 911. It wasn't until the 70's, when I purchased my first 911; I felt I was finally "in" with the right crowd. Shortly thereafter, I relocated to Arizona, a land of very few P-cars. As the years passed, I explained to my son about the great camaraderie and “brotherhood of the clan” in Southern California where the flash and the wave were common place.

When he was a teenager, we took an extended trip to the coast in my '84 Carrera Coupe. Yes, there were many, many Porsches on the road, but to my surprise and disappointment, hardly a wave or flash was returned... My son made an interesting observation: "Maybe these people who are buying new Porsches now are only buying them as "status" symbols. Evidently, they're not the same type of people you knew in the old days..."

My feeling is this: wave and flash at all drivers of interesting cars, especially Porsches! Show your appreciation for their efforts. People are creatures of habit. Let’s teach ‘em good ones! When it comes to Porsches, no matter what type, it is STILL a Porsche. Not everyone may be able to afford what you can. Remember this: All Porsches are “family” and should to be accepted as such. Although someone may not be driving your favorite model, they could be in the future if you take a moment and share some enthusiasm and encouragement. Be supportive to your fellow Porsche brethren, just as you would with your own family members! It’s nice to be nice…

Keep those headlights flashin’ and hands a wavin'… tradition is a good thing!

Cheers to all and Happy New Year!

Quick Reply: Boxster WAVE????