Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Underneath the Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 06:20 PM
rzepko6194
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underneath the Carrera

I plan on powerwashing the underside of my 87' Carrera during the next warm spell but I'm unsure about how far (and deep) to clean. The pan appears to be pretty clean, as I can see the actual body paint color. The wheel arches appear to be coated with a black tar like material. Some scrubbing with a brush can remove this material right down to the painted surface.

Were the wheel arches undercoated this way from the factory or was this possibly done afterwards?

I've seen some cars which appear to have just body colored paint in the wells but they may have been prepared that way for show.

Thanks.

John Pavone

1987 Carrera Targa - 17K miles
Old 12-27-2003, 06:45 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my understanding the black tar was probably applied in this country. The paint in the wheel wells is textured.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Buffalo
Advanced

Greetings: When I first got my 82, I thought that the black in the wheel wells was also an undercoating. I testing a spot with my power washer and discovered that it was actually 20 years of crud.

I power washed gently and removed most of the grime to uncover the same color as the car (guards red).

However, be care and go easy as you can remove the paint as well. I used an electic 1500 psi unit with more of a broad tip. I found that even with 1500 psi that with a pencil tip you can remove the paint.

The job was also made much easier by jack up each side and removing the tires.

Good luck.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:49 PM
rzepko6194
Advanced

Good point, Buffalo. It could just be just a mixture of mud, dirt and road tar. If it is, the pressure washer should remove it. If undercoating, I guess solvents and/or heat may be required (Ugh..).

John Pavone
Old 12-27-2003, 10:05 PM
sschmerg
Racer

John:

The tar-like stuff is a "cosmoline" that they put on to protect the car during shipping. It was applied at the factory, and I believe it was supposed to be removed by the dealer during their prep. I think there's a mixed view about the stuff among the concours folks. Some like to leave it, others remove it.

My car still has it on, but I'm thinking about removing it in the spring. Let me know how you go about it if you decide to take it off.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 12-27-2003, 10:29 PM
rzepko6194
Advanced

Sean, 3M makes a general purpose adhesive/tar/cosmoline remover. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out. I've also heard that Simple Green will remove it. I these fail, there's always the pressure washer. ;-)

John Pavone
Old 12-27-2003, 10:58 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Simple Green / nylon brush - lots and lots of elbow grease.

Spray let stand/scrub/spray, let stand, scrub...
Old 12-28-2003, 09:59 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The cosmoline on my car was medium to light brown -- the black tar that I have seen is undercoating sprayed on over the cosmoline.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:08 AM
rzepko6194
Advanced

I don't think that this is undercoating on my car. A quick scrub with just a nylon brush removed the gunk down to the painted surface. It may just be dirt/grease/rubber/road tar which has attached itself to the cosmoline.

John Pavone

Old 12-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I removed the majority of the cosmoline by spraying the offending areas with engine degreaser, brush, and the commercial high pressure car wash wand. The more recalcitrant stuff came off with Oil Flo Safety Solvent/Degreaser

Also, FWIW, there are many very well thought out articles on taking care of your car at that site.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:18 PM
jmarenas
Advanced

Default ULTIMATE CAR CARE SITE

enjoy

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html
Old 12-30-2003, 12:06 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A concours view...

Originally posted by sschmerg
John:

The tar-like stuff is a "cosmoline" that they put on to protect the car during shipping. It was applied at the factory, and I believe it was supposed to be removed by the dealer during their prep. I think there's a mixed view about the stuff among the concours folks. Some like to leave it, others remove it.

My car still has it on, but I'm thinking about removing it in the spring. Let me know how you go about it if you decide to take it off.

Thanks,
Sean
As a very amature judge myself, I've found varying opinions on cosmoline.

Ask one Concours judge about cosmoline and they'll say leave it on. Ask another judge and they'll want it off the car. It also sometimes depends on the class you have your car entered in.

I've been taught that if the cosmoline is clean, no points should be deducted from the car. It should appear brown or dark tan and not black. The factory applies it, so you should be able to leave it on the car.

Jay
90 964
Old 12-30-2003, 10:14 AM
rzepko6194
Advanced

Jay,

I don't plan on showing the car and since cosmoline seems to attract dust/dirt, off it comes. Hopefully, without too much trouble. Also, a clean underside makes it easier to inspect for leaks and other potential problems.

John

1987 - Carrera Targa - 17K miles
Old 12-31-2003, 05:09 PM
jmarenas
Advanced

Default Cosmoline ON or OFF

Stopped in to see my Wrench 25 year Porsche mechanic said leave it on.......... Out of curiousity I picked a an area and it does come off very easily.
drove the 911 Again IN MICHIGAN!!!

The weather is unbelivible for this time of year!! Next 2 day same 45 or so and SUNNY!! Logged 60 miles today on "my course" On and off ramps M 59& I 75, Getting the hang of drifting pretty good now. Had it up to 135mph, It is addictive. Happy New Year John
Old 12-31-2003, 05:28 PM
rzepko6194
Advanced

jmarenas,

Unfourtunately, my Carrera is garaged 300 miles away (Connecticut) in relatively mild weather and I'm up in the snow (Lake Placid, NY). Maybe the good weather will hold out until early next week, so I can get a drive in!

I've already made up my mind; cosmoline's gotta go.

Have a great New Year!

John

Quick Reply: Underneath the Carrera