Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Update #1 - Anyone want to go swimming in my backseat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 10:04 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Now's the time for some lightweight fiberglass bumpers - and damn - you might just have to paint the whole car to get it to match properly - you know those darker colors and that darn Florida sun.

Glad to hear you are ok - the car can be fixed - you are feeling OK right?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:30 AM
Dadofour
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, other than a little frustration and tension I am dandy.

I got back in the saddle today and started the process of rooting out the source of the water leak.

My son Charlie and I took the hose to the outside of the car...

No water from the right rear window

No water from the left rear window

No water from the rear window

When I squirted the hose into the little vents at the top of the rear window I drenched Charlie inside the car.

We opened the headliner and discovered how the interior of the car is vented to the outside trough those vents...oops!

I then tried to flood the sunroof while closed by pouring water into the leading edge of the sun roof.

after letting the water run into the sunroof for about a minute water started to pour into the inside of the car from the the area where the zipper allows access to the sunroof motor.

I looked like the water was backing up in the pan under the roof that creates the pocket for the retracted sunroof. It leaked out the rear seam where the pocket was sealed to the roof of the car.

I went to home depot and got heavy guage weed wacker monofilament and snaked three of the four drains. I could not get through the front right. I also got a large tube of clear silicon to seal the seam.

I went to a local gas station and blew forced air through the drain tubes. I did the rear ones from the engine compartmnent and I did the fron ones from the sunroof.

Went home and reapeated the water test without any water coming into the car.

Sealed the interior seam.

repeated test, no water

used silicone to seal all of the holes

Tomorrow I will try to get estimates for body work.

Thanks for the sunroof advise. It was right all along, or so I think now.

Oh yeah! I sprayed the rusty metal with Extend and it turned the rust black. Tomorrow I will probably paint the rear seats white (to show rust better).

Than
Old 12-29-2003, 10:55 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Than:

When they redo the paint, make sure the windows (quarter and rear) are pulled and not taped off around the seals. That way you will get you new gaskets also.

Cheers, George

Quick Reply: Update #1 - Anyone want to go swimming in my backseat?