Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sump cover position

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 01:04 PM
dawgster
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sump cover position

A question on the proper sump cover position on the 2.7 motor---I read in an old Pano that the drain plug can push into the scavenge pick up pipe and eventually dislodge the epoxy bond where the pipe goes into the pump. I recently changed the oil and dropped the sump cover, but I wasn't sure if I put it back on in the same position. I currently have the drain plug closest to the rear of the car. Is this correct?
Old 12-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, there is an indentation on the sump cover, to allow clearance for the drainplug, especially a magnetic one.

My bet is that if you got your sump plate back on without resistance, meaning it fit right on there...you're okay.

I seem to remember the studs/holes being an offset pattern - slightly so you can't get it wrong...or am I thinking of a transmission differential cover??

35 and droppin' "bits".
Old 12-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Mike Kast
Advanced

On my SC you can put it on wrong and it will effect the oil pressure and engine temp. because there is less room under the pickup tube and oil flow is restricted.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:06 PM
dawgster
AutoX

Thanks for the response. I'm still hoping someone can confirm that the drain plug goes toward the rear of the car on the 2.7, or let me know where it should be located so as not to interfere with the pickup tube. I've scoured all the books / parts lists I have and nothing shows the underside of the engine. Thanks for the help. I'll also do a search here and at pelican.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:12 PM
Mike Kast
Advanced

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...70#post1094670
Old 12-30-2003, 04:58 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Why don't you just pull it? The two gaskets are a dollar item. There is only a swig of oil in the sump. It is a dry sump after all. If you are tight, you can even catch the oil in a clean container and re-use.

Then, if you pay attention, you will see where the pickup has to go on the lid and IIRC, you also want to make sure the strainer sits in there right. One can definitely put it on wrong on the 3.0. When I had it off for a first time oil change and assessment of the strainer I made sure I put it back correctly. Correct is important, not only as it had been on before, that's sometimes not good enough.

Good Luck, George
Old 12-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, lemme clarify, the indentation on the sump will indicate WHERE the drain plug is supposed to be located.

I agree with George, just drain your oil and pull it, a valve gasket kit will include the needed gaskets for the sump cover. Once you drain your oil, the oil coming out of the sump will be minimal...because there won't be much left in there!

Keep in mind, this is NOT a dry-sump system, about 4qts. is in your engine at all times.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:39 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had a look at my 2.7 and the plug is on the left side looking under the car from the rear - on a US car that would be the offside?

PJC
Old 12-31-2003, 10:02 PM
BartB
Intermediate

On my 2.7, the drain plug is at the rearmost point, but all that matters is that it isn't towards the front of the car as that is where the sump pickup is.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:56 PM
dawgster
AutoX

Got it right. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Sump cover position