Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 SC Road Trip Advice

Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 PM
bw1999
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 911 SC Road Trip Advice

I am close to purchasing a 1982 911 SC with 68k miles and some maintenance history in LA, and thinking about driving it back to Ohio. Here are my questions, assuming the PPI checks out:
1) Is this a stupid idea? I have some wrenching experience and this isn't my first 911 but I am less experienced on the air cooled ones.
2) Does anyone have a link to the 911 SC repair manual, or good book recommendations.
3) Can you give me list of tools and spares that would be good to have. I have a pretty full set of tools for the 996TT. For spares, would be great to provide parts numbers.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Actually not much goes wrong with an sc.
no problematic relays or sensors
If it checks out just drive it
Old 02-19-2018, 11:34 PM
bw1999
Instructor

Thanks! Hope this works out
Old 02-20-2018, 12:03 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Depends on quality of ppi.
Make sure they check for broken studs
Old 02-20-2018, 01:03 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

You still will want to carry some spares and tools. Does the car come with its jack, air compressor for the inflatable spare, and tool kit? You'll want to be able to change a flat. I would probably bring a tire plug tool rather than rely on the inflatable spare for any length of time. Make sure the tires are not aged out. I would also bring a spare fan belt (there may be one in the tool kit), and know how to change it. You will need a special tool that is in the tool kit.

Use Marine Stabil with every fill up with ethanol fuel. Bring a couple of quarts of oil too, and know that the only reliable way to check the oil level is with the dipstick while the car is warmed up and idling on a level surface. The gauge on the dash may or may not be accurate. Check it oil level with the engine off and you will overfill.

Best option for a repair manual is the Bentley:
https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Service-Manual-1978-1979/dp/0837617057/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519102578&sr=8-2&keywords=bentley+911sc https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Service-Manual-1978-1979/dp/0837617057/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519102578&sr=8-2&keywords=bentley+911sc

If the car doesn't have its owners manual, you may want to try to pick one up, but they can only be found used now.

Post a road trip thread here and on Pelican; if you run into trouble there will likely be someone along the way that can help out.

I think that's about it. Good luck!

Mark
Old 02-20-2018, 02:52 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

My wife has the best RACV cover for down here. I think you Guys have AA?
Any car she is driving that breaks down, they will ship it home no extra charge. And provide her with a no cost hire car. Me, as here husband, gets the same cover but only on one nominated vehicle. We have to supply the Rego number for my car of choice. Best thing ever! You should look into it.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

stock tool kit is much more useful than most owners think - is it complete?

I started a post on here somewhere with useful info for long-term safety maintenance

fire extinguisher is always useful - Halon or the newer replacement, Halotron as the dry chemical types will ruin the engine

will you explore back roads outside cell phone range? or stick to major hwys?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM
bw1999
Instructor

Thanks everyone for the replies so far and keep them coming.
As for kit, I am not sure but I don't think it is there. Any recommendations on what to bring or purchase to supplant the kit are appreciated. I have a growing list from recs above.
As for route, I haven't decided yet. A lot depends on whether I have 4 days or 7 for this. Probably will be beginning of April so weather shouldn't be too bad.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:01 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just drove my SC from chicago to LA in November of last year. 2,400 some miles with some sight seeing. Other than gas & an oil change street side in Denver, it didn't skip a beat. Go for it & have fun!
Old 02-20-2018, 10:20 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a suggestion of a last resort backup plan. My neighbor takes his Stock restored model A on long road trips. When it has broken down and he was far from home he rented a Uhaul and car trailer and drove the car home. It was the cheapest long distance solution for his situation from WA to CA.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:24 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

check torques on CV joints before leaving - you'll want a socket with the hex eventually - get a very high quality tool for this (be sure a PO didn't stick an XZN or whatever in there)

search up tool kit threads for other tools - the spark plug socket is special...

have the fuel hoses and rubber brake hoses replaced with new items from the dealer & be sure real clamps are used on the fuel hoses, not the cheapo garden hose ones that will bite into the rubber and destroy it

day long blasts on the hwy are good for the car
Old 02-20-2018, 11:18 PM
bw1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by r911
check torques on CV joints before leaving - you'll want a socket with the hex eventually - get a very high quality tool for this (be sure a PO didn't stick an XZN or whatever in there)

search up tool kit threads for other tools - the spark plug socket is special...

have the fuel hoses and rubber brake hoses replaced with new items from the dealer & be sure real clamps are used on the fuel hoses, not the cheapo garden hose ones that will bite into the rubber and destroy it

day long blasts on the hwy are good for the car
I have a spark plug socket that I just used on the 996TT. Would it be the same size? I guess that is some of the advice I need. What special tools should I bring/purchase?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:42 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

Spark plugs are 13/16". It's not the size that's special, it is the tool itself. Let's you get down into the blind holes and get the plugs started more easily, but it's by no means mandatory. If you buy the car the shop that does your PPI can tell you if you need new plugs - probably worth having them go through the car and do a basic service anyway (oil change, plugs, air filter, fuel filter, timing, etc). Here is what the spark plug wrench looks like (from Pelican Parts).

You do want to get one of these alternator pulley wrenches. It holds the fan still so you can get the nut off to change the fan belt. The nut should be a 22mm, although I think it's possible that it has a replacement alternator that came with a 24mm nut.

Lug nuts are 19mm. Pick up a nice compact scissor jack when you are in CA and carry that with you. It's what I use, and it lets you easily get under the suspension to jack up for a tire change.

I really don't think you need much else with you (fan belt, alternator pulley wrench, jack, plug kit for flats, 12V air compressor, 22mm or 24mm socket, 1/2-inch ratchet, 19mm lug nut wrench). Plus your AAA card and cell phone.

If you buy the car you may want to find a factory tool kit for it, but that is a study in itself. Bag color, screw driver color, different types of tow hooks, etc. I bookmarked this thread as a reference. Figure on spending around $300-$600 for a complete tool kit in decent shape.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...iew-74-up.html

Mark
Old 02-21-2018, 12:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I bet you get in it. Drive it home with zero issues
Maybe carry a quart of oil but bet you dont need any of this stuff
Old 02-21-2018, 11:08 AM
buddalun
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by NoEardGoat
I have a suggestion of a last resort backup plan. My neighbor takes his Stock restored model A on long road trips. When it has broken down and he was far from home he rented a Uhaul and car trailer and drove the car home. It was the cheapest long distance solution for his situation from WA to CA.
This is a good, cost-friendly last resort.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911 SC Road Trip Advice