Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Adding water to battery and using an Optima battery for 911?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 02:38 AM
kenshi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Adding water to battery and using an Optima battery for 911?

It has been a while since i had a battery that requires water to be added...how much water should i add and how often should this be done?

To avoid the risk of acid spils, anyone on the board mounted an Optima or other non spill battery in their 911? If so, which one, what size and did you have to modify anyting to mount it?

thanks
alf
Old 01-21-2003, 07:11 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to add water.. look inside a cell and you can see an end to the inner neck, maybe 3/4 in. below top.. I refill to edge of that neck/ depends on style.. and an Optima is a nice option.. I wouldn't recommend the "deep cycle".. andthere is a technique for recharging a weak Optima.. you'll need an adapter mounting plate and a new longer ground cable.. I would go at least the stock ga. ground cable, maybe larger. IMPORTANT- don't use a match or cig lighter to see inside wet cell battery/Flash/Ka Boom/Hospital........Ron
Old 01-22-2003, 01:37 AM
raceman77
Advanced

just get the optima.no corrosive fumes to damage the car,no adding of water or worries.l ordered mine from perf.products several years ago-still a strong battery.l`ll never go back to old tech batteries...
Old 01-22-2003, 01:43 AM
Mike F
Advanced

I have the optima red battery. Unless you are using monster stereo amps this works great. Like Ron said, you will need to buy or fabricate a mounting plate and get a longer ground cable.
Well worth it if you ask me.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:23 AM
kenshi
Advanced

Thanks for the advise. The local GI Joe has the Champion Vortex on sale for $80, from what i read, they licensed Optima's technology.

alf
Old 01-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Bob's flat-six
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alf: If you do get a water battery I always like to use distilled water when topping off. They make a battery filler bottle too that will only let you ad the proper amount.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:11 PM
toyboat
Track Day

There is an orange Optima battery that has the correct cable orientation for European cars. If you get the red one, you have to get a longer ground cable.

Quick Reply: Adding water to battery and using an Optima battery for 911?