Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Front Strut brace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 04:34 PM
dkilmartin
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Strut brace?

Hey Guys- quick question...I have a 1984 911 Carrera Coupe and I want to do a front strut brace. Can one of you send some pictures and suggestions? I am looking for a simple functional install that i can do myself or maybe have a shop do the install. This is a street car. Is it worth the upgrade? What can I expect? Thanks for you help.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I started with a Weltmeister that TRE was discarding and more recently welded up my own version that was about 4lbs lighter. If I had the energy I'd likely have purchases the one Steve Wong sells on his website. Suspension tuning is a long road with lots of forks in it.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:44 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Elephant racing has a cheap one that mounts so easily "removing the trunk carpets" is an appreciable percentage of the time it takes. I put it in my car and went to the track and... well I don't know if I could tell a difference but I think it felt like the front had slightly more grip for less rollover in the suspension. For street use only? I'd rather have the trunk space.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Look at Rennline website - 15% off. I think it stiffens up the front chassis a bit but I know I don't push my cars hard enough to maximize the structural benefit.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:24 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Chuck, the owner of Elephant Racing told me there is no benefit to adding a strut brace for a street car, even if driven very aggressively. And he sells em.. Save your money for shock/struts, bushings and torsion bars if you're looking for better handling.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Chuck, the owner of Elephant Racing told me there is no benefit to adding a strut brace for a street car, even if driven very aggressively. And he sells em.. Save your money for shock/struts, bushings and torsion bars if you're looking for better handling.
Yep. I'd agree. Bilstein Sport dampers and Lemforder turbo tie rods is where I'd start any long term project. The next step would be torsion bars and all new Elephant rubber bushings. All kinds of insanity after that.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:46 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

digressive Bilsteins....
Old 12-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by r911
digressive Bilsteins....
https://www.bilstein.com/en/

Ask for Juan. Tell him you have "aftermarket" Bilsteins that need to be revalved. They do not revalve their OE shocks.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guys- quick question...I have a 1984 911 Carrera Coupe and I want to do a front strut brace. Can one of you send some pictures and suggestions? I am looking for a simple functional install that i can do myself or maybe have a shop do the install. This is a street car. Is it worth the upgrade? What can I expect? Thanks for you help.
I installed a strut brace on my '84 Carrera Targa 20 years ago. My records show it is a Weltmeister. If you do mount one on your car, follow their recommendations about pre-loading the bar. My bar is first tightened till it starts to pre-load, and is then loosened slightly (i.e. no pre-load).

In a Targa the strut brace does make a difference both on the track and for aggressive street driving. Targa's are not as rigid as coupes, thus the nickname "flexible flyer". Since you have a coupe, you may see marginal benefits until you take your car on the track..

About 10 years ago, I further enhanced my suspension with 22/28mm torsion bars, Bilstein Sport (yellow) shocks/struts, turbo tie rods, and ER poly-bronze suspension bushings. I lowered the car to slightly below "Euro height" and dialed in an aggressive street alignment. Finally, I fitted 7" and 9" Fuchs and a 360mm steering wheel all from a 930S.

IMHO, car handles pretty darn well on the street and track. The strut brace is just one small part of my total handling "package".

Here are a couple pics of my front strut brace:

Attachment to top strut tower.

Strut brace in position.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

im not so convinced about the Targa flex , thing, I noticed no measurable difference driving about 6 years both ways ( street only though ) . Not many people know, but there is a lot of added strengthening material in the Targa. Ever drive both and realize the foot well is a lot smaller in the Targa due to the additional steel in the tub ?

not saying it makes no difference. I have just never felt it going back and forth a few times.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:23 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

iceman,

I tend to agree with you for street driving, but on the track I do think the brace cuts down body flex a bit. I guess that may be why (and the added weight) we don't see many Targa race cars; at least I never have.

I applaud you because you are one of just a handful of 911 driver's that I have heard comment about the size of the footwell in the Targa vs. the Coupe. Bravo!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by BER
iceman,

I tend to agree with you for street driving, but on the track I do think the brace cuts down body flex a bit. I guess that may be why (and the added weight) we don't see many Targa race cars; at least I never have.

I applaud you because you are one of just a handful of 911 driver's that I have heard comment about the size of the footwell in the Targa vs. the Coupe. Bravo!
Been in this rodeo a while. 😉. You are surely correct about the track. Especially as our cars age.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

My cab has a dead-pedal installed by the factory. Only came on select few cars. It's called the wheel well.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:35 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
My cab has a dead-pedal installed by the factory. Only came on select few cars. It's called the wheel well.
any water in it?

or is it a dry well?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by r911
any water in it?

or is it a dry well?
I use run dry technology. I've used the windshield wipers exactly one time in ten years......the one night we parked it and ran to our hotel room. Oops

Quick Reply: Front Strut brace?