Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Chip and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003 | 05:52 PM
si Banker
Advanced

Default Chip and exhaust

I just took delivery on a 1987 911 coupe which is stock with 17k miles.

I saw a post concerning changing the chip in the car. I contacted Steve Wong and am considering a chip, new pre-mufflers and sport muffler plus changing the air intake system to something less restrictive. I use the car daily and a less restrictive exhaust would not be a problem. Other than noise, what would the down side be?

I do not want to change anything to do with the heating system and what ever changes I make would need to be reversed if it ever became necessary. I just want more performance.

Any suggestions on intake and exhaust brands would be appreciated and feed back from anyone who has used this brand of chip.

I do live in a state where cars must pass a yearly inspection but I would not mind changing exhaust systems once a year to pass.
Old 12-13-2003 | 07:11 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Banker:

Wow,...that's low miles!!

I tell our clients that the main things to do with the 3.2 Carrera is a good chip and exhaust.

Unless you install a MAFS (expensive), a different air filter system does little good and makes more noise than power. I'd suggest adding some 1.5" holes to the air cleaner cover.

You have two choices for exhaust systems:

1) Install a single-inlet Sport Muffler like a Monty muffler and perhaps a test pipe. Unless you cat is plugged up, the test pipe make very little difference.

2) Install a set of SSI heat exchangers and a dual-in/dual-out Monty Sport Muffler. Some heating plumbing will need to be done but this is the biggest improvement in HP and torque.

I have many customers who do the latter one and make the swap every year or two for smog tests. If all of the hardware is liberally coated with a copper-based anti-seize, this is really a snap.
Old 12-13-2003 | 08:55 PM
MikeF
Instructor

Banker,

The very first reply to your question came from the man himself. You won't find more knowledgeable advice than from Steve.

Do as he says and you won't waste a lot of money on snake oil. But, a word of caution...don't expect dramatic improvement from bolt-on mods. Unfortunately, to add "real" horsepower to a 911, you need to make permanent mods that can be quite expensive (p's and c's, cam, or like some of us, complete engine swaps).

Enjoy!
Old 12-13-2003 | 10:58 PM
rzepko6194
Advanced

Hi Banker,

Congrats on your new toy!

I just bought an 87' Targa with 17K miles on it last month. I highly recommend a Steve Wong chip. Just installed one today. The euro premuffler gets installed soon. No sure if I intend to go any further with the engine mods.

Post some pic's when you get a chance.

John Pavone
Old 12-14-2003 | 01:11 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

1987 is the BEST year for Porsche 911's! Ask me how I know! Now I am VERY happy with my set up. Dansk premuffler and a Dansk dual out and Steve Wong chip. Much more mid range!

Old 12-14-2003 | 04:03 AM
MIK911
Pro

I agree with others. I've got a SteveW chip, and Flowmaster muffler w/ Cat still intact. The chip is a must. Not gigantic increase in HP, but a noticable *snap* in acceleration esp at mid-rpm. I live 10 mi. from SteveW, and he installed the chip in for me (took 10 min), and wouldn't take my money until i test drove my car and was satisfied with the chip. I handed him my hard-earned cash with a smile on my face
NOTE: my car's a '86, and Steve will be the first to tell you that the pre-'87 Carrera's have the most to gain, compared to factory settings.
My muffler is a Flowmaster 1in/1out, custom job. Cost: $200. parts and labor. Not Stainless Steel, but sound is pure raw 911.
I'm contemplating swapping the Cat for a EuroPremuffler. If i did this, SteveW will re-program my chip for a nominal fee, and he states my HP will be near Euro-spec 3.2 Carrera range (230ish HP)

For you guys swapping Cats every 1-2 years for smog inspection, what's required to swap out the cat? Is it as simple as (1) Jacking up rear (2) remove 3 bolts on each end of cat and replace w/ EuroPremuffler? Or is it a little more involved?

Welcome to the 911 madness!!!!
Mike
Old 12-17-2003 | 12:34 AM
zzwhm
1st Gear

Banker - I sent you a pm. I have a Steve W chip and Fabspeed premuffler in my 87. Great setup and had no problem at all passing TX inspection.
Old 12-17-2003 | 03:54 AM
anh911
Track Day

Hey Banker, congrats on a great choice, 17K miles is VERY low.

On the topic can anyone direct me to some sound/video files of different mufflers? I have an '89 Carrera and am also deciding which to use.

cheers~
Old 12-17-2003 | 10:43 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

You can pm me with your e-mail - I have a sound file of a dansk dual out and premuffler...

Quick Reply: Chip and exhaust