Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best sounding exhaust for the 1980 911sc 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 03:52 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BER
I had heard rumors he was a NASA engineer, but as I said, all rumor...no proof. He did know his stuff!
Another late, great Jim Sims was an engineer at Sandia.

Grady was an engineer, and a grad. of Carnegie-Mellon.

Bruce was a technical writer for hp (the old, good hp).

So, if Warren was an engineer it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:17 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
Its Joe at Fabspeed Motorsport.
a catbypass pipe European style premuffler works wonder on 911 SC and 3.2 liter Carrera cars.
The Unique item my team and I developed was a single Inlet and single or dual outlet Sports exhaust for all late model 911 cars.
You can run a single outlet muffler on the 911SC/3.2L Carrera and in a few minutes Uncork the RIGHT side outlet CAP-OFF and slip-on a matching Fabspeed exhaust tip.

The system sounds great and we supply all new German Wurth hardware and a waterjet cut stainless steel mounting bracket for the 911 rear engine bracket.

The factory 911 headers in conjunction with a catbypass pipe/ European premuffler and a rear maxflo or highflo sports exhaust will gain as much power as SSI style headers on these cars and any owner can quickly and easily reinstall their factory catalytic converter or an aftermarket high-flow catalytic converter to pass emissions testing. This is another advantage of using stock OEM Porsche headers if the headers are not rusted out.
Not in my experience...I purchased a pre muffler and a more open flow muffler with the stock headers on an 83 SC.
Not even close to the SSI's.
Where, in your experience, was this similar gain made?
The SSI's/dansk are strong thruout the rpm mid range and higher....the set up you described made the mid range mushy torque wise and seemed ok at high rpm.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Besides, you'll never get as aggressive a note out of the stock headers as you will with the SSIs.

Tooting my own horn here but...

That said, keeping the stock headers if you're in an emissions state is a pretty dang good idea. Swapping out the pre-muffler pipe is easy as pie.
The following users liked this post:
K Jengle (10-04-2019)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Besides, you'll never get as aggressive a note out of the stock headers as you will with the SSIs.
100% agree! I put SSI's and Dansk Sport muffler on my '77 ROW 911S. The sound and performance was awesome. Watching your videos was "Deja Vu" for me...Thanks!

The current setup on my 911 Carrera is a Dansk pre-muffler and Dansk Sport muffler with 84mm outlet pipe. Steve Wong modified my Motronic DME so it accepts 28-pin, 4K custom chip. Car runs pretty darn good with good sound; SSI's will do better.

We do not have emissions testing in my area, so that is not an issue. I am seriously considering the SSI's/Dansk Sport update to my '84 Carrera. I am shopping around for good pricing on the SSI's and the muffler; suggestions are welcome.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:42 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by BER
100% agree! I put SSI's and Dansk Sport muffler on my '77 ROW 911S. The sound and performance was awesome. Watching your videos was "Deja Vu" for me...Thanks!

The current setup on my 911 Carrera is a Dansk pre-muffler and Dansk Sport muffler with 84mm outlet pipe. Steve Wong modified my Motronic DME so it accepts 28-pin, 4K custom chip. Car runs pretty darn good with good sound; SSI's will do better.

We do not have emissions testing in my area, so that is not an issue. I am seriously considering the SSI's/Dansk Sport update to my '84 Carrera. I am shopping around for good pricing on the SSI's and the muffler; suggestions are welcome.
I love the SSI's/Dansk 2in/out on my 83 ROW because of three things...they work properly actually adding to the performance of the car, they sound great when you get after it but are not droning when not, they look great too.
The first like is the primary as form without function gets zero points in my book.

The other issue in this specific case is you can't 'chip' your car as the later motronic Carrera's can...iotw, it is not a stock running motor and that effects the power band.....our earlier SC's can't be modified in that manner with a simple 'chip' redoing the ignition profile.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

This Winters project
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Nice Ice....when I got my SC 83 ROW motor it came with SSI's/dansk...you will be very happy with that outcome especially in your mid range torque.
What muffler is that btw? Is that a 2 out with the large tips....might be a bit much for a stock lump.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

2 in 1 out sport dansk but someone oversized the tip . Im hoping it is not too obnoxious. the flanges got pushed in when it went into a wall so I got it for free. I then had a guy weld some reinforcement into It.

I want another crack at fixing some leaking rocker shafts after my build before I put all this on or it will be a mess.

Last edited by theiceman; 10-31-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:30 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

tips are no big deal - they are AFTER the baffles and headers
Old 10-31-2017, 09:49 AM
BER
Pro

Looks like a great winter project iceman. I think I have come to the decision to do the same to my 911 this winter.

Now the hunt for a nice SSI/Dansk muffler setup begins.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BER
Looks like a great winter project iceman. I think I have come to the decision to do the same to my 911 this winter.

Now the hunt for a nice SSI/Dansk muffler setup begins.
Thanks BER ,

Winter In Canada can get pretty cool so I don't know if im up to crawling under there in the garage, but at least I just rebuilt my engine so getting the old exhaust off will be easy.
As a data point I paid 800 USD for these used off craigslist, I got the muffler for free but paid 200 bucks CAD to have it repaired and reinforced. 50 bucks for the pre 74 used oil lines.
the PO cut out where the tip used to be , opened a bigger hole and welded on that huge thing and as most people know this can hugely affect how it sounds. If im not happy I may be in for a new dansk sport but I will have to wait till our dollar does a bit better vs USD.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:24 PM
BER
Pro

Originally Posted by theiceman
Thanks BER ,

Winter In Canada can get pretty cool so I don't know if im up to crawling under there in the garage, but at least I just rebuilt my engine so getting the old exhaust off will be easy.
As a data point I paid 800 USD for these used off craigslist, I got the muffler for free but paid 200 bucks CAD to have it repaired and reinforced. 50 bucks for the pre 74 used oil lines.
the PO cut out where the tip used to be , opened a bigger hole and welded on that huge thing and as most people know this can hugely affect how it sounds. If im not happy I may be in for a new dansk sport but I will have to wait till our dollar does a bit better vs USD.
Iceman,

Thanks for the information...gives me a sanity check on the pricing for the components. Dansk makes a sport muffler that fits the SSi's. It has one 70 mm outlet with a chrome tip; I have seen them for sale new for around US$575. I may opt for the new one.

I was very lucky on my first SSI installation on my old 911S. I was able to get all the nuts off without breaking a stud. I soaking the nuts in Aero Kroil for 3 or 4 days before starting the job. I then used a hand-held acetylene bottle torch and got this those nuts glowing red, let them cool a bit and wrenched them off. A couple brought the stud with the nut, but nothing broke!

I did all that on my back with the rear of the car raised about 28". I now have a lift...getting to old to roll around on a cold floor.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:38 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I swapped in the SSI I was really lucky with the studs as well, god bless original and only Texas cars! The hardest parts for me were deforming the heat exchanger shroud to clear the clutch omega spring and bending the under-engine oil line to line up with the connections. Getting that oil line straight took a ton of extra manipulation and I was damn near fed up with it when I finally got it lined up. How I managed to not cross-thread anything I have no idea, but it's on there.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah mine all came off too with my map gas and oxygen with no breaks, and that was after 40 years. My trick was using a short 13mm wrench and short hex driver so I couldn't snap them , if it didn't come with my hand pressure I applied more heat, worked great. I took took lots of studs with me but I didn't mind as I was putting all new studs in.

yeah Dave I am fully expecting your nightmare with the oil lines.

I also have to fab up a few wrenches i'm told I need to get in there.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:39 PM
BER
Pro

Getting that oil line straight took a ton of extra manipulation and I was damn near fed up with it when I finally got it lined up. How I managed to not cross-thread anything I have no idea, but it's on there.
Dave,

I forgot about the damn oil lines...I have to replace two lines on my Carrera. I'll have to have a "double" single-malt to calm my nerves before messing with the oil lines.

Quick Reply: Best sounding exhaust for the 1980 911sc 3.0L