Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Check Car Registration California

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 01:44 PM
gordongartrell
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Car Registration California

I am very close to buying a 1983 911 SC in California from a private seller also in California. The seller has told me that the car was previously owned by an elderly gentleman who has kept the car garaged for about 8 years. Seller has also told me that the car has been registered as non-operative in CA during that time. I'm a bit worried that if I buy the car and go to register it, that I will find a bunch of delinquent registration fees. Is there any way to confirm whether the car is currently registered and fees paid up in California? Thanks very much.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:00 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not look how to look for what you are looking for. But it may also be worth looking into the cars Vehicle Test history for additional information that may help you decide on buying the car.
The Bureau of Ca repairs somewhere under Ca.gov you can check a vehicle test report if you have a vin or license. It may be worth looking to see if the car failed smog years ago and that is why it is not registered.
Abe
Old 10-03-2017, 06:23 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Do you have AAA? It might be worth it to have them verify the registration vs the DMV.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:43 PM
proporsche
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Gordon send me an email and i can give you a phone number from very good fiend of mine .They can find out for you any important info for you.

Ivan
Old 10-03-2017, 07:33 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dmv

Originally Posted by gordongartrell
I am very close to buying a 1983 911 SC in California from a private seller also in California. The seller has told me that the car was previously owned by an elderly gentleman who has kept the car garaged for about 8 years. Seller has also told me that the car has been registered as non-operative in CA during that time. I'm a bit worried that if I buy the car and go to register it, that I will find a bunch of delinquent registration fees. Is there any way to confirm whether the car is currently registered and fees paid up in California? Thanks very much.
I WAS LOOKING AT A 930 THAT THE SELLER SAID WAS IN NON-OP STATUS. I CALLED CALIFORNIA DMV, GAVE THEM THE VIN #. DMV VERIFIED THERE WERE $1,100 IN UNPAID REGISTRATION FEES OWED FROM 2014 AND THAT THE FEES MUST BE PAID IN ORDER TO REGISTER IN CALIFORNIA. THEY WERE VERY HELPFUL BUT USUALLY A LONG HOLD TIME OR YOU CAN OP TO HAVE A RETURN CALL. DON'T BUY WITHOUT VERIFICATION.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

In CA isn't the seller responsible for the car passing smog? Is that still true if the car is sold as not operative? I'm guessing not. That would make me nervous unless the car is priced assuming it needs significant work.

Mark
Old 10-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

If a car is registered as Non op in CA , there are still yearly fees due to DMV to keep it registered that way. If they are not paid, there is a penalty on top of the charge- ask me how I know!! Registration documents even state if the state of CA fails to send you the renewal for the Nonop, it's the owners responsibility to renew.

Easy to figure out - ask the seller to send you proof of Nonop registration for 2017.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

PS: It's several hundred dollars per year penalty fee if they have not kept nonop current.

I believe to reregister the car it will require a DMV physical inspection and a successful smog test in addition to any $$$ due to our wonderful state of CA
Old 10-04-2017, 12:19 AM
gordongartrell
6th Gear

Thanks everyone. After doing more research, there were a few additional red flags that I uncovered and decided not to proceed with the sale.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:27 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...ecalculatorweb
Old 10-04-2017, 01:02 AM
gordongartrell
6th Gear

Thanks. Will that calculator also tell you of any delinquent fees?

Quick Reply: Check Car Registration California