Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1984 Carrera hard starting cold, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Doney
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Carrera hard starting cold, Help!

Hello fellow Porsche friends:
I have a 1984, 911, Carrera that I found the gas had gone bad from letting it sit for a almost two years.
I drained all the gas, found the fuel pump was also not working, replaced it. New gas and injector clean and it still starts hard. New DME, new cylinder head sensor and still hard starting cold. Battery great, turns over fine. Once warmed up starts great but just not cold. Never had this problem before. Not sure what to look at next. Once started runs like a scared rabbit. Will eventually start cold but not like normal, lots of turning over.

Thanks for reading any suggestions will help.

Richard Doney
Old 09-06-2017, 12:03 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Richard,

Since you had bad gas in your system, your problem could be any number of places. Check your fuel pressure in your system. I would expect you will find your fuel pressure is low; that would result in hard starting.

I would suggest you start by changing the fuel filter. You may also need to replace the fuel pressure regulator and pressure damper. Your fuel pump could also be suspect.

Once you fix your hard starting problem, I would add a 20 oz. bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner to your gas. Then repeat after 1000 miles.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:06 PM
Doney
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce:
Thanks for the help, I lucked out and only had to replace the fuel filter. She is now running and starting great. I also added 20oz of Techron as you suggested. I won't let that happen again. I have a tendency to not drive all of them every year, thats got to stop and more fuel system cleaner.
Thanks again
Richard
Old 09-10-2017, 12:18 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Richard,

That is excellent news! Glad to be of help.

Quick Reply: 1984 Carrera hard starting cold, Help!