3rd gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 05:28 AM
Reckless
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gear problem

Hey,

When shifting into 3rd really hard, or down shifting from 4th to 3rd it some times grinds. I did a quick seach, and found these;

Low oil.
Wrong/old oil.
Clutch sticking.
*worse case* 3rd synchro.

The car is a 2.7lt with a 5 speed, and h/d clucth. Is there anything else I should check out before I start and scare my myself with new synchro price's?

Cheers.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the problem is specific to one gear, I'd rule out clutch.

If the oil is dark, start there. Fresh oil can make a huge difference. Most commonly recommended seems to be Swepco 201, but Redline also makes a GL-5 compliant synthetic (the name of which escapes me at the moment) at about twice the price of Swepco. I've used both and they are about the same under normal driving, however I find the Redline fares better when things get real hot (ie: track days). If choosing a synthetic, you need to be sure you get something with the right friction modifiers or it will be too slippery for the syncros to work properly. Ironically, too slippery an oil causes the syncros to work too hard and to wear prematurely.

Reality, unfortunately, is that correcting the problem in its entirely will likely require a rebuild. Changing oil may make things better in the short term, but the problem will likely continue to get worse over time.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:31 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

you shouldnt be shifting "really hard" into any gear on a porsche, as they are not made to shift like that. sounds like youre nicking the syncro.

id take it easy on shifting hard for now on, as thats whats causes these syncros to become screwed up in the first place.

btw..
do you have a weltmeister short shift kit in? if so, then youre really screwing up the syncros, if youre shifting hard (short shift gives mechanical advantage, and so when you shift hard with it in, youre hurting the gear box twice as much). if you have a wevo or similar type shift kit, its much better for the car than the weltmeister type and wont hurt them as much.

Quick Reply: 3rd gear problem