Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 11:56 PM
HeadHunterSC
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Won't Start

I have a 1982 911 Targa. I've had the car for several years and have never really had an issue with it. I tried to take it out today and it wouldn't start.

It has been sitting for about a month. I usually drive it once or twice a month but it sat longer than usual this time. The car ran fine the last time I drove it. It has sat this long before and started right up.

The car turns over and it sounds like it is just about to start but won't. The gas gage is at about 1/4 a tank, but I thought that the gage might be off so I put a couple of gallons in it with the same result.

I checked the distributor cap and the plug wires to make sure that they were connected properly and are. I checked the fuel pump fuse and it appears to be fine.

Any ideas or suggestions on what the problem might be?
Old 08-29-2017, 10:18 PM
HeadHunterSC
AutoX

I must have done something wrong to get over 100 views and no reply, but I figured it out on my own. I checked the fuse and the relay for the fuel pump and reseeded both. When putting the fuse back in, I notice the wire that was connected to the fuse for the fuel pump was loose. It could have been reseeding the relay and or fuse but suspect it was the wire not making good contact. It's running good as new again.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadHunterSC
I must have done something wrong to get over 100 views and no reply, but I figured it out on my own. I checked the fuse and the relay for the fuel pump and reseeded both. When putting the fuse back in, I notice the wire that was connected to the fuse for the fuel pump was loose. It could have been reseeding the relay and or fuse but suspect it was the wire not making good contact. It's running good as new again.
Thanks for updating the thread with the solution
Old 08-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Thanks for updating the thread with the solution
These old cars need to be used or gremlins may appear. When I first got my Targa the electric window operation was hit or miss, to the point that I bought new replacement switches. However, after driving the car for several months and cycling the windows quite a few times, everything now works dependably. Go figure.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:26 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

One that will kill these every time is the old theft/car alarm devices. I had an '84 coupe and one day, nothing. Would turn over but wouldn't fire up. Found a guy that knew everything about these and that was the first thing he mentioned. He tore into it and deleted the aftermarket alarm and BAM, never had another problem.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:06 PM
LIRS6
Intermediate

I once pulled into a restaurant with valet parking, turned car off awaiting attendant (yes, shame on me for valeting it). Valet dude tried to start the car - nothing. We pushed it into a close spot and I went in to have my rib eye and cab with clients. Came out 3 hrs later, same issue. Knowing that it had been running fine until then, I rationalized that it might be something simple, so I went into the frunk and removed the plastic cover for the fuse box. I ran my fingers across all of the fuses, kind of rolling them as I went. Put the box back on, closed the lid and the car started up like a champ. Hopefully I'll remember that 10 yrs from now when it happens again.

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start