Fuel leak after check valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:17 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by r911
a pump with the inlet inserted thru the top (sender) bung will work on most tanks - slosh and pump it out; lather/rinse/repeat

that also gets you a sender inspection and new seal
That's how I did mine, just used a cheap siphon pump from Harbor Freight. Use zip ties to attach the pump suction hose to an aluminum tube, that keeps the line from coiling so you can keep it on the bottom of the tank. Pumped the fuel into 5-gallon fuel jugs. You can easily see when you have most of the fuel out. This way when you do finally disconnect the feed line to the pump you don't have a lot of head shooting out a stream of gasoline.

Mark
Old 08-28-2017, 09:38 PM
gemt24
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pinched the 1/2" from the tank to the fuel pumped with vice grips and bike tube between the jaws. I didn't care about damaging hose because it was getting replaced. Bike tube was used for a good pinch on the hose. It still dripped anyway. Then I shoved that clear tube in the 1/2 hose and let the bucket brigade begin. The clear tupperware did most the collecting and black oil pan got the action in between. Hoses and fitting ends I was not working on I used rubber bands and sandwich bags to stop the periodic drip, keep clean and vapors away. That was my white trash theory anyway. At least no super glue of duct tape involved.

My truck got 12-13 gallons out of the deal. I had a fire extinguisher and damp beach towels by my side the entire project. The garage door was open entire time with decent breeze that evening.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2017, 10:31 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

sample debris from a CIS tank

don't forget to replace the filter bung -- tho it did not get any of the debris on it...
Attached Images   
Old 08-29-2017, 12:52 AM
gemt24
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I have a list and that is up there for sure

Quick Reply: Fuel leak after check valve