Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Disconected wire in engine bay???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Mark sP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Disconected wire in engine bay???

Hi guys,

Whilst tinker under the engine lid today, I noticed in the right rear, ontop of the chassis leg, behind the rear light tail lights there is a loom attached neatly to the bodywork. However, exiting this loom is a single, quite thick gauge GREEN wire which is about 6 inches long and has a 2" long white connector socket at the end. Inside this socket/plug is a standard looking flat type spade connector.

This wire is just lying ontop of the rear bodywork. There isn't anything obviouse that this would connect to. All lights etc work aok. The only faulty item is the rear wiper motor, which has nothing to do with this wire.

Any ideas as to what this might be?

Thanks for any ideas.
Mark
Old 11-30-2003, 12:07 AM
StanV
Instructor

Mark,

My car is an '82, but if the wiring harness is like mine the green wire you describe runs from the AC temp control in the cabin to the clutch on the compressor. If you or a previous owner have removed the compressor, that is the likely explanation. If, however, your compressor clutch wire is properly installed and the AC works, then I'm wrong

Try putting the a lead of a voltmeter on the wire you describe and the other lead to ground, start up your car and switch on the AC to the coldest setting. If you get a reading when the AC is switched on, you have confirmation.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:00 AM
Mark sP
Instructor

I don't have AC. But I suspect that you are right and the loom is a standard item regardless of what options are actualy fitted?. Therefore the wire is not used on my car.

Can anyone without AC confirm/deny that they also have this wire on their cars please?

Many thanks.

Quick Reply: Disconected wire in engine bay???