Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clutch time recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 03:52 PM
lostinatl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch time recommendations

'84 911 and my clutch is going bad at a rapid rate. I have done a little research. What do others use. There are three types that I have seen. 1. SACHS Power Clutch 2. CenterForce Dual Friction 3. Sachs OEM. Need some help with choices. Would you attempt to change yourself? What should I expect to pay if I take it to a P Mech?

Thanks
lostinatl@mindspring.com
Old 11-02-2002, 09:10 PM
jrb964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm right in the middle of rebuilding my '80SC clutch. I chose the Sach's Power Clutch, this was on the recommendation of others. I'm also putting in an aluminum flywheel. I have it torn down and am also cleaning all of the oil leaks, the engine had never been out of this car - so there is 22 years on burnt on grease and oil. Cleaning is a tuffer job than replacing the clutch.

I ordered my parts from Pelican. They have a complete package. They provide all of the parts needed. Flywheel removal can be difficult - you need the proper tool. There carried in all of the catalogs for about $30. I went to Napa and got the proper tool that attached to a 1/2" socket for $6.99 - it worked slick.

If you going to do it yourself take your time - don't hurry. But it's all pretty straight forward.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:21 AM
lostinatl
Instructor

There seems to be a real lack of info from others changing clutches...there only seems to be two to choose from, oem or the SACHS Power Clutch, nobody has replied that is using the CenterForce Dual Friction or is that way off the map.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:06 AM
Gary Gudinkas
6th Gear

I recently had the clutch replaced in my '88 911 and I went with the Centerforce. I am very happy with it. Prior to the replacement, I was having problems shifting into second. I thought this might be a syncro problem. Since the replacement, shifts in all gears are much smoother and I need less revs to a smooth downshift. It's not cheap, but I would recommend it. I did not do the work myself, but had a shop do it. I also needed to replace the flywheel.

Quick Reply: Clutch time recommendations