Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ft strut insert replacement help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Bill W.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ft strut insert replacement help ASAP

I received the new Bilstein strut inserts (for Boge Struts) and the instructions said to refer to the enclosed diag. as to which parts to replace w/ the new Bilstein parts...only they didn't enclose a diag!!

What I need to know is if (refering to the Bentley manual pg 401-6) part nos. 4 (plastic shield) & 5 (rubber bumper) go back into the strut under the new dust cover and on top of the new Bilstein insert and it's new cap screw? I suspect that the parts (4&5) go back in but I don't know for sure and don't want to have to take it apart again.

I've done a search of old topics but didn't find the answer to my question however I did find a post refering to Smart-Racing.com's instructions on Front Factory Bump Stop Modification.

The rubber Bump Stop they show looks just like the rubber bumper that I'm talking about except they show it as being at the bottom of the strut and not under the dust cap as mine is. Now maybe their drawing is of a Bilstein Strut since it also shows a roll pin below the bump stop which I think is only on the Bilstein Strut. Still, I suspect the idea is the same and since I plan to lower the car to 25" front and 25.5" rear should I cut 1 or 2 sections off the bumper?

It was in the low 20's in my garage today, no problems except w/ my hands getting too damn cold.

TIA,
Bill W.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Bill W.
Advanced

Note to self: RTFI, dummy.
Although the Bilstein mounting instructions did not include the diagram they said would show which parts to re-use if I had read the $#@& instructions a little more thoroughly I would have seen
"Do not reuse original bump stop, since Bilstein cart. has built in bump stop". They don't mention the rubber ring but I would suspect Old 76 is correct in tossing the ring.

I did call Bilstein at 800-745-4636 and requested the tool for the nut. Since it's free (per Bilstein should have been w/ the strut) and it's the proper tool I'll have one on hand. Also, it may make removing the cap nut easier should it become necessary down the road.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Bill Pauling
Intermediate

Hi Bill - I went through the same thing when I replaced the front struts on my '84 this past summer. I called the supplier and they told me that the rubber ring is just there to hold the dust cover in place during shipping, and that it does not get installed on the car.

Good luck in the cold.

Quick Reply: Ft strut insert replacement help ASAP