Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:16 PM
iFox
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
If it we're not for the smell I'd say it was the oil viscosity.
The car is at the shop.. the mech/owner said he was able to shift it... took it out on the road and then it locked up again. He wants to pull the transmission.. 8 hours of labor at the very least. WTF do I do? He thinks its the clutch.. but my issue is that I never had problems until they changed the trans fluid, like I said as I picked it up it grinded as I put it into first gear in the parking lot to go home.

Sher-
Old 08-03-2017, 05:32 PM
iFox
Instructor

It was mentioned that the shop may have not filled it back with trans fluid. My question is, would I have been able to drive it for over a week at almost 40 miles per day, if it had been in properly filled?

Sher-
Old 08-03-2017, 05:54 PM
proporsche
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Fox .
.yes that is exactly the point ..you would able to drive it 40 miles until all is kaput due not oil in the trany..please do not let him work on the car any more take it to someone who knows more about 911 then you would have to bill him..for the repairs.
1st tow it to a place and be present while they drain the trany..i suspect no oil at all ..if there is a oil in it inspect the clutch and let us know.
The clutch job is exactly 4-5 hours to r+r engine ...no need to pull it with the transmission.1 hour to replace the clutch...again do you trust this guy??

Ivan
Old 08-03-2017, 05:58 PM
iFox
Instructor

Originally Posted by proporsche
Hi Fox .
.yes that is exactly the point ..you would able to drive it 40 miles until all is kaput due not oil in the trany..please do not let him work on the car any more take it to someone who knows more about 911 then you would have to bill him..for the repairs.
1st tow it to a place and be present while they drain the trany..i suspect no oil at all ..if there is a oil in it inspect the clutch and let us know.
The clutch job is exactly 4-5 hours to r+r engine ...no need to pull it with the transmission.1 hour to replace the clutch...again do you trust this guy??

Ivan
The car is already at the shop (Fischer Motors) which came highly regarded. Does anyone have history with them? ALSO he told me 8 hours to drop the transmission.

Sher-
Old 08-03-2017, 06:09 PM
proporsche
Instructor

Hi..is that the shop who supposedly did the trany oil change?? ...think about it.You got in for an trany oil change then you left and all the hell broke....???

fisher motor what State?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by iFox
The car is already at the shop (Fischer Motors) which came highly regarded. Does anyone have history with them? ALSO he told me 8 hours to drop the transmission.

Sher-
Laguna Beach? You are in SoCal?

.....or Illinois?

I think they put 20W50 in your box
Old 08-04-2017, 01:22 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by iFox

Sher-
No way 8 hrs. It should take less than that to drop the transmission, change the clutch, and reinstall.

They should be able to drop the engine/transmission in 2 hrs or less.

Mark
Old 08-04-2017, 04:09 AM
proporsche
Instructor

Hi Mark..the book is 4-5 hours to remove and reinstall engine(+1 hour with the trany) .I think they will not go by real time.There would not be any money in it for them.
However my fastest replacement of clutch i did was under 1 hour and car drove of..i have to add all tools ready at hand and car on hoist...
Also you do not need to remove the trany to do clutch...
Ivan

Last edited by proporsche; 08-04-2017 at 05:49 AM.

Quick Reply: New problem