Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   New problem (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/1002797-new-problem.html)

iFox 08-02-2017 08:28 PM

New problem

Ok so a bunch of you know I had my 78sc in for a leaky tension upgrade job. While it was back I also had the trans fluid and oil changed. The day I picked it up as I placed it into first gear there was a momentary grind that never happened before. Wasn't sure what was going on and since the Then I have had it happen 6-10 times while going from N to 1st. I thought it was maybe that the new trans fluid. That was last week. Today on my way home 4 blocks from home I could not get it out of 2nd or into any gear with out severe grinding. It is now in my parking spot. I can shift it fine with clutch depressed while car is off but it won't go into any gear with it running . Thoughts? Car shifted great before shop visit.

Sher

Amber Gramps 08-02-2017 08:34 PM

Stretched clutch cable. .....masked by the old thick oil now gone.

iFox 08-02-2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps (Post 14368776)
Stretched clutch cable. .....masked by the old thick oil now gone.

It smelled too when I parked it. Also reving the engine in neutral seemed funny. All part of a stretched cable ? Could I have done damage? Is this an inexpensive repair?

Sher

Amber Gramps 08-02-2017 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by iFox (Post 14368782)
It smelled too when I parked it. Also reving the engine in neutral seemed funny. All part of a stretched cable ? Could I have done damage? Is this an inexpensive repair?

Sher

That smell is another clue that it's clutch related. I don't think it will be too costly unless you completely lost the clutch.

Too loose you have problems opening the clutch and too tight and you never get it to clamp down. Take it back to the shop.

iFox 08-02-2017 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps (Post 14368791)
That smell is another clue that it's clutch related. I don't think it will be too costly unless you completely lost the clutch.

Too loose you have problems opening the clutch and too tight and you never get it to clamp down. Take it back to the shop.

definitely flat bed it to shop though correct?

Sher

Amber Gramps 08-02-2017 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by iFox (Post 14368797)
definitely flat bed it to shop though correct?

Sher

Yep. Sucks.

iFox 08-02-2017 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps (Post 14368821)
Yep. Sucks.

yup it def does Thanks for the advice My garage is UNDER the building I live in so now I have no idea how to get it out. Ideas?

Sher

iFox 08-02-2017 09:23 PM

Would it be dangerous to shift into gear w car off then start it to get it out of garage to flatbed?

Sher

rusnak 08-02-2017 10:45 PM

I wonder if someone got oil somehow onto the clutch disc?

You can shift it into first with the engine shut down, and then turn the key on level ground. The car will roll forward and if it fires up, then you'll be able to drive it out. If you need to stop on the incline, then you're screwed. Mabe see if the tow truck cable can reach the car down the ramp, or use a smaller 1-ton tow truck.

911Dave 08-02-2017 10:47 PM

How many miles on the clutch? Is it original? If it's original, the SC had a rubber-centered clutch that is prone to failure. Was it a rubber smell? Grinding almost always points to the clutch not fully disengaging. If you get the clutch replaced, make sure the shop replaces it with a spring-centered one.

iFox 08-02-2017 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by 911Dave (Post 14369066)
How many miles on the clutch? Is it original? If it's original, the SC had a rubber-centered clutch that is prone to failure. Was it a rubber smell? Grinding almost always points to the clutch not fully disengaging. If you get the clutch replaced, make sure the shop replaces it with a spring-centered one.

40k miles. Amber gramps seems to think it is my cable though. Amber, can it be moved safely?

Sher

proporsche 08-03-2017 04:06 AM

Hi iFox...what i like to know since the shop did trany oil change and before you never had a problem with shifting.Did the problem started after you pick the car up?
Yes you can start the car in 1st gear but you have to make sure where you will be going and where do you want to stop.Nothing in the way..
I would most likely call the shop and let them deal with it.
Again, did it happen right after you got it from them?I wonder if there is the oil in the trany???
Ivan

911Dave 08-03-2017 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by iFox (Post 14369077)
40k miles. Amber gramps seems to think it is my cable though. Amber, can it be moved safely?

Sher

What function does the clutch cable serve? To disengage the clutch. If the cable isn't doing this properly, or if the clutch itself is the problem, you get grinding. That was my point.

theiceman 08-03-2017 12:34 PM

yeah id be wondering if they remembered to put fluid back in.
if they " adjusted " the clutch while they were under there they could have messed something up

.. all this aside id say its time to find a new shop.

Amber Gramps 08-03-2017 12:40 PM

If it we're not for the smell I'd say it was the oil viscosity.