Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Replacing fan housing - help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 04:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by jclanin
I was able to see where the interference was happening on the bottom. I filed out (ever so slightly) the 'offending' area. I can now get it to seat all the way against the engine casing.... but only without the air diflector installed. Once I install that, the air 'fins' push against the top engine housing and no longer allow the bottom of the fan housing to seat properly. So now I'll need to file down the fins a tad. What a PITA.

You're correct Amber Gramps... the Vertex 'upgraded' aluminum housing is VERY poorly designed. And for the price I paid they will be getting an earful from me. If my original housing wasn't so badly cracked I would re-install it and send back the Vertex version.

I've definitely learned a bit more about Porsche engineering and a lot more about my patience (or lack there-of) with this little project...
Sounds like you are getting there. With cars like ours and the unavailability of some parts this is just part of the equation. You can always mess around with the old one too and see where its fitting where the new one wont.

sounds like you will be wrapped up soon though.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:21 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Sounds like you are getting there. With cars like ours and the unavailability of some parts this is just part of the equation. You can always mess around with the old one too and see where its fitting where the new one wont.

sounds like you will be wrapped up soon though.
yep... getting close! I'll update in the next few days - hopefully with a running car as success
Old 08-01-2017, 10:24 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
My guess is that they didn't engineer new parts, but just made molds off good old parts. The molds degrade over time as sand sticks to the aluminum parts.

You also need to make sure your Top Dead Center Mark is correct and not off by 5°.

..,..and sorry I was such a dick. Some sellers get under my skin. It wasn't you.
Yes, the part seems to be very high quality with very poor fitment execution.

and HA!... didn't take your comment as 'dickish' to me necessarily... I've followed too many helpful threads from you to think that ;-)
Old 08-02-2017, 02:29 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jclanin
Yes, the part seems to be very high quality with very poor fitment execution.

and HA!... didn't take your comment as 'dickish' to me necessarily... I've followed too many helpful threads from you to think that ;-)
I really have to bite my tongue at work when I can engineer a product solution for a customer better than guys with ten times my formal education. I've spent almost 25 years out-designing protective packaging gurus......although I did just have an issue with Tesla. Turns out my poly bag guy can't hold a .003 bubble for ****. . Things like this shroud just seem elementary to me. I know though that if you don't have your head in it daily you may not see the solution at first glance.

Quick Reply: Replacing fan housing - help!