Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cylinder Leak Down Test Numbers and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:10 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Leak Down Test Numbers and other questions

I had Foreign Affairs Motorsport in Pompano Beach, FL perform a leak down on a car I am looking at. Here they are:

#1- 3%

#2- 4%

#3- 3%

#4- 16%

#5- 3%

#6- 4%

I was told that the #4 could be carbon. This car was driven a total of 400 miles in approx 3 years.

The left and right cam towers are leaking, front and rear crank seals are leaking and gaskets and O-rings. The transmission shift shaft seal is also leaking and the front oil cooler hose is damp.

Thoughts?
Old 07-29-2017, 10:59 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

what year
what model
how many miles
what did the shop say about the leakdown?
why are you questioning them?

oil leaks are part of most all porsches. Leaks come in various sizes. Most arent worth repairing. Weep, seep or leak?
Old 07-30-2017, 12:06 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I'd want to drive it, Italian tune up, valve adjust, then test again.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:25 AM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996AE
what year
what model
how many miles
what did the shop say about the leakdown?
why are you questioning them?

oil leaks are part of most all porsches. Leaks come in various sizes. Most arent worth repairing. Weep, seep or leak?
1986 3.2

129,000+

That is the leak down (?). The print out says Cylinder Leak Down Test with the above numbers.

I'm not questioning them. All said was that they said it may be carbon. They don't know for sure. He suggested it get driven for a week and then come back for another test. All I wanted to know is would that make a difference with such a big disparity in relation to the other cylinders. The car does not have any documentation for service prior to 2014, so no way to know about any major services in the past or rebuilds before 2014. The last major service was almost 3 years ago to the day. As I said, the car had only 400 miles put on it since that service.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:41 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

All the leakdowns except for #4 look great and this requires additional measures to find the source of the leakage.

If the shop didn't write down WHERE the observed leakage was coming from, they did you no favors.

If its valves, I hope they noted which one it was. After that, they should have "staked" the offending valve to see if was caused by carbon or not. This is a common procedure used to dislodge any carbon deposits trapped on the valve seat which can cause a leak.

Valve adjustment can also cause such troubles, but that should have been checked at this time.

Hope this helps,
Old 07-30-2017, 12:48 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
All the leakdowns except for #4 look great and this requires additional measures to find the source of the leakage.

If the shop didn't write down WHERE the observed leakage was coming from, they did you no favors.

If its valves, I hope they noted which one it was. After that, they should have "staked" the offending valve to see if was caused by carbon or not. This is a common procedure used to dislodge any carbon deposits trapped on the valve seat which can cause a leak.

Valve adjustment can also cause such troubles, but that should have been checked at this time.

Hope this helps,
Thanks, Steve. I will check with Foreign and find out what they observed. Is removing the valve cover gasket and finding out where the leak is typical on a Cylinder Leak Down Test?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:46 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurzheck
Thanks, Steve. I will check with Foreign and find out what they observed. Is removing the valve cover gasket and finding out where the leak is typical on a Cylinder Leak Down Test?
No, they can tell by listening for the air. if its through the exhaust its an exhaust valve. intake, intake valve etc.

you would pop the covers if you want to inspect studs though.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:16 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

Hope this helps,

This is the best advice you could have been given.

Any test is somewhat useless if you do not investigate the source of the leak.

Steve mentioned staking the valve. The covers have to come off for this along with checking to see that the valve has lash. If the engine has sat for years, then its a good chance that the seat and or valve face has some corrosion on them. That valve may have sat open for years.

Unfortunately some shops will perform the test, then with the results tell you you need to have the engine rebuilt without first checking.

Listen to what Steve has told you. He has given you solid advice.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Keeping in mind if this is part of a ppi owner may not want his car touched this much
Old 07-31-2017, 04:38 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I passed on the car. Wasn't comfortable.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

what was it for you that turned you off ? the leakdown ?

Quick Reply: Cylinder Leak Down Test Numbers and other questions