Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking at a couple of 3.2's

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:10 AM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a couple of 3.2's

Hello gents (and ladies, if present). I am currently a 2005 Carrera owner, which I love, but I would like to add an air cooled to my garage as it was my childhood fantasy car.

I went out to Palm Springs and saw this one and test drove it. Liked it, but it didn't grab me.

http://www.palmdesertauto.com/vehicl...TARGA-G50-COA/

I'm currently trying to decide on these 2 before deciding which one to get serious about.

The first is the 1988 Commemorative Edition. The miles are high. And it appears the original mats with matching color are gone(?). One of the factory options it came with is a short shifter (243).

http://hitecauto.com/1988-Porsche-91...2/Details.aspx

The other is a Targa in St. Petersburg, FL by a private seller in color I really like. It appears the owner is a PCA member, but I don't see it listed on the website.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7356/overview/

Obviously, one is a 915 tranny and the other G50.

Without looking at the paperwork, it doesn't mention anything about any top end rebuilds, tranny rebuilds, etc.

Any thoughts, other than the mandatory PPI? Thanks.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:22 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd be all over the bleu Targa.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:41 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I do like the blue Targa as well. Obviously a PPI would be required and presumably the owner-PCA member would be fine with that.

Curious what turned you off about the red Targa? Color?

BTW I have an '86 Targa with the 915 transmission, which can be a little problematic until you get used to it. Makes you work a little bit more than the newer stuff.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a good friend in the Porsche Indy mechanic / dismantler business who says red is the hardest color to sell. He says it commands the least amount of money. Guards red was an East coast thing too. The only red Porsche I like is the 964 owned by my neighbor that started the 911 picture thread here.....and I do admit that I really like it...but in general I don't like red.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would ordinarily recommend the '88 CE since I have one, but the one you linked to does indeed have quite high mileage and it looks it. If the engine hasn't been refreshed, it may need it soon.

I like the LOOK of the blue targa, but at 130k miles it's not much more promising than the CE. And yes, the 915 is a fine transmission when healthy and dialed in.

The red one looks best to me at 96k miles, but we're just looking at pictures. It has the G50 , but unfortunately it has the INCORRECT tea tray spoiler, whereas the blue targa has a CORRECT whale tail spoiler. Neither is a big deal as you can remove them (I don't like spoilers), but it will involve replacing the deck lid with a different one without mounting holes and you'll have to have it painted to match the rest of the car. Otherwise, if you like the spoilers, ignore what I just said.

I would suggest you keep looking. There are better cars out there. Just gotta be patient. The really good cars aren't coming up for sale as often as they used to.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

My advice would be to sit down and narrow the choice down from "aircooled 911". You should decide if you want a targa or a coupe, and you should decide on a transmission before you shotgun shop further. figure out which one you really want and wait until you get that one. Typically the guy shopping for a 915 targa is not going to be the same guy shopping for a G50 coupe. There's nothing wrong with driving all of them, I just wouldn't settle on pulling the trigger until you're 100% sure what you want

I would also suggest that you take a drive in a 964 before you pull the trigger. I've seen multiple posts from guys with newer 911s and the budget to add an air cooled car, and they find that they don't like it nearly as much as the new cars. a 964 is old enough to have much of the air cooled charm, but it will be a little more usable, and if push comes to shove you can always back date it to fulfill your visual requirements.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:19 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Of the three posted I would go for the red, however if it was my money I would hold out for a better deal for 40k. That money will get you lower miles and better colors.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:23 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

If it's between the 3, the Blue Targa does it for me, then the Red one (after Turbo Tail replaced) and then coupe. Targas are an absolute blast to drive w/ the top off and will give you hot weather relief, given the poor A/C performance.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 433 Posts

'88 CE provided the engine has been refreshed; as previously mentioned. That's also just my preference for Coupes. The blue Targa is super nice too; just not a targa or cab guy. Nor a red guy. If they're all mechanically sound and other things equal based on PPI, grab whichever makes you smile the most.

Edit: The CE is overpriced, IMO. If the engine is more or less "new" and it's otherwise totally immaculate, then $40k *might* be a decent deal. Otherwise, I'd offer the guy $35 if that's the one you like.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm in the midst of arranging a PPI on the blue Targa. I'll keep you all posted.

Quick Reply: Looking at a couple of 3.2's