Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Chaps - not strictly porsche I know but look @ THIS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chaps - not strictly porsche I know but look @ THIS!

http://www.caterham-spr.com/gallery.php#video

Gonna be interesting to see how much this costs.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gadzooks...that is hot. yes curious on price...
Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

About £70000 in UK. cheap
Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 PM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
About £70000 in UK. cheap
Flip - you sure? That is quite a bargain.... where's my chequebook?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 1198r
Flip - you sure? That is quite a bargain.... where's my chequebook?

It's a Caterham kit car*! How much you want it to cost?

* Definition: A kit car is a car that is available in parts and pieces that a manufacturer sells and the buyers then assemble into a car themselves. A Caterham is a kit car that the manufacturer sells pre-assembled and then it breaks into pieces and parts along the way. : )
Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Similar price point to the V8 Radical and V8 Atom. All of these UK things are interesting, but they're the antithesis of a street car, especially a 911. If they were sold in numbers the US market with decent support and enough of a driver population to support some competition (Atom is trying this right now with the "spec" series) I think it could be fun for those inclined.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
1198r
Pro

It's a Caterham kit car*! How much you want it to cost?

* Definition: A kit car is a car that is available in parts and pieces that a manufacturer sells and the buyers then assemble into a car themselves. A Caterham is a kit car that the manufacturer sells pre-assembled and then it breaks into pieces and parts along the way. : )
but not just any kit car! I reckon its good value - especially when you think a Ducati Desomsedici cost £45,000 (and I a Duke fan). But then what is value....? Value is something you are prepared to pay for to receive the thing you want - which only you can value. Hence £45k for a motorbike is a lot of dough, but I would pay it simly because its a very close GP replica and its a Ducati! Ditto this kit car - but because its likely the closest thing I could get to a GP car and that raw interaction between man and machine but could repair/maintain quite cheaply. Therefore value means different things to different people. If its not clear its cause its late (0430) and I need to get some sleep - which I value!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

but not just any kit car! I reckon its good value - especially when you think a Ducati Desomsedici cost £45,000 (and I a Duke fan). But then what is value....? Value is something you are prepared to pay for to receive the thing you want - which only you can value. Hence £45k for a motorbike is a lot of dough, but I would pay it simly because its a very close GP replica and its a Ducati! Ditto this kit car - but because its likely the closest thing I could get to a GP car and that raw interaction between man and machine but could repair/maintain quite cheaply. Therefore value means different things to different people. If its not clear its cause its late (0430) and I need to get some sleep - which I value!
I had a Desmo (#1240) but sold it since I didn't use it too often! I now have a Streetfighter S.

But getting back to this Caterham - sounds like a interesting idea to me...thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:45 AM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by silverboy
I had a Desmo (#1240) but sold it since I didn't use it too often! I now have a Streetfighter S.

But getting back to this Caterham - sounds like a interesting idea to me...thanks!
Dude - you had one! Respect. How was it? (like the avatar btw!).

The Caterham website has specific link for the car. Very interesting indeed.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Similar price point to the V8 Radical and V8 Atom. All of these UK things are interesting, but they're the antithesis of a street car, especially a 911. If they were sold in numbers the US market with decent support and enough of a driver population to support some competition (Atom is trying this right now with the "spec" series) I think it could be fun for those inclined.
Good point on a first approach.
But despite the fact that the power to weight ratio is a helluva number, and that radicals and atoms are not a rare thing in your shores, still the point is missing IMO. The things we love in the 911 are not present, not even one of them but the speed; and speed alone doesn't do it for me or I would own a PDK turbo. : )
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 AM
1198r
Pro

Good point on a first approach.
But despite the fact that the power to weight ratio is a helluva number, and that radicals and atoms are not a rare thing in your shores, still the point is missing IMO. The things we love in the 911 are not present, not even one of them but the speed; and speed alone doesn't do it for me or I would own a PDK turbo. : )
I am not sure I agree (but that is assuming my interpretation of why you love a 911 is the same as mine). I think 911 is fantastic and reason I got an RS is because I wanted that raw driving experience and in previous posts tried to explain I wanted a car that gave me same feedback as when I raced my Ducati - and the RS ticked the boxes. On top of that I really like how the 911 looks so double bonus! For me, and certainly this new Caterham would take it that step further still. Milkymu spoke (yet again!!) more truth when he said that more of us would go down the cup route - but that is expensive. Heck, if I could I would get one now but now this Caterham has come out, I would be VERY interested. It would satisfy my search for the car that replaces racing bikes without becoming an F1 driver (in another life!!), is reasonable to maintain and looks pretty awesome. Of course I have to see the thing in person etc and hear it also but on paper and colour photos I think Caterham are onto a winner here and good on em. Yes if I had loads of cash I would get the cup car - NO QUESTION and maybe I will, but this Caterham challenges my reasoning and just for that I am grateful.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 AM
James A
Advanced

I have owned a Caterham Super 7 since 2002 and have found it more reliable than the GT3 in many respects. I built it and built it right, I have only changed fluids and tires and track and autocross it regularly.
In terms of cost and reliability I'll take the Caterham!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:32 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Dude - you had one! Respect. How was it? (like the avatar btw!).

The Caterham website has specific link for the car. Very interesting indeed.
Yes that's the Desmo in my avatar. I used to own a 1198R too like what you have. Desmo didn't have much mid range vs 1198R and had long gearing. Got kinda freaked about a few cases of the engine blowing up and was worried no one would buy it after the warranty expired. Kinda pleased I got my money back.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

interesting car.
looks exciting.

other then tearing up track days, im not sure what else one could do with it? any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
other then tearing up track days, im not sure what else one could do with it? any suggestions?
You could tow it to car shows!

All this Radical, Atom, Caterham, Stohr stuff is great. If you want to go absurdly fast around the track then that's the ticket. The 911 is not a slow car but it's a bus compared to those.

I like my track experience to be in something that does resemble a road car. Someone else may like the Radical experience. One is not a direct substitute for the other.

Quick Reply: Chaps - not strictly porsche I know but look @ THIS!