Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Caliper color change

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 09:32 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Caliper color change

Decided to have my calipers redone to match the yellow seatbelts, door pulls, and deviating stitching. I’ll take better pics tomorrow. What do you guys think??

The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (08-05-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 09:40 PM
rooster17
Pro

Received 596 Likes on 236 Posts

Honestly... I would have steered clear of yellow given PCCB calipers share the that color.

But I understand your logic and I’m sure they look great against the other accents.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:52 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,087 Likes on 438 Posts

It could be the photo, but there's something in the contrast of the Aurum and the pastel-look of the yellow that is clashing for me in the moment. Is the color of the caliper accurate in the photo? If you look at other examples of Aurum and White Gold wheel options with PCCB, I think the saturation of the yellow helps reduce any awkwardness.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:51 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah, to each their own! I didn't want the calipers to be the same exact color as the PCCB yellow calipers, but Speed Yellow to match the interior trim pieces. Note in the last pic posted by KelvinC how the yellow caliper does not quite match the speed yellow of the vehicle.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:00 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

You can have the calipers wrapped. Not sure how that would hold up with track use but it's a thing now. High heat vinyl wrap.
Goodwood (03-29-2021)
Old 08-05-2020, 12:18 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by labcars
Ah, to each their own! I didn't want the calipers to be the same exact color as the PCCB yellow calipers, but Speed Yellow to match the interior trim pieces. Note in the last pic posted by KelvinC how the yellow caliper does not quite match the speed yellow of the vehicle.
Definitely, and your logic makes sense!

But do you by chance mean Racing Yellow? PCCBs are Speed Yellow. I believe the GT3 RS shown in the photo is Racing Yellow.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:10 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rooster17
Honestly... I would have steered clear of yellow given PCCB calipers share the that color.

But I understand your logic and I’m sure they look great against the other accents.
Originally Posted by KelvinC
It could be the photo, but there's something in the contrast of the Aurum and the pastel-look of the yellow that is clashing for me in the moment. Is the color of the caliper accurate in the photo? If you look at other examples of Aurum and White Gold wheel options with PCCB, I think the saturation of the yellow helps reduce any awkwardness.

Originally Posted by Nickshu
You can have the calipers wrapped. Not sure how that would hold up with track use but it's a thing now. High heat vinyl wrap.
I chose to have them painted in the same high temp paint used by Brembo on the originals. I didn't think the wrap would hold up to wear.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:11 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Definitely, and your logic makes sense!

But do you by chance mean Racing Yellow? PCCBs are Speed Yellow. I believe the GT3 RS shown in the photo is Racing Yellow.
Kelvin, you're right. My bad.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,386 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Caution - this comment does not address the question you've posed and may be viewed as unwelcome and perhaps somewhat offensive:

The brake caliper color is a detail. Why not go after a far greater opportunity area - specifically your wheels?

Your Macadamia paint color is fantastic. The lifeless painted silver / gray OEM wheel color really does nothing to advance the look of the car - especially in combination with the Macadamia. In fact, I think that silver color clashes with the exterior paint color of the car and detracts from the look.

Certainly will acknowledge the cost of wheels is in a totally different category than paint for calipers. But, different wheels would completely transform the look of the car.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:41 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Caution - this comment does not address the question you've posed and may be viewed as unwelcome and perhaps somewhat offensive:

The brake caliper color is a detail. Why not go after a far greater opportunity area - specifically your wheels?

Your Macadamia paint color is fantastic. The lifeless painted silver / gray OEM wheel color really does nothing to advance the look of the car - especially in combination with the Macadamia. In fact, I think that silver color clashes with the exterior paint color of the car and detracts from the look.

Certainly will acknowledge the cost of wheels is in a totally different category than paint for calipers. But, different wheels would completely transform the look of the car.
I'm a little confused. I've got Aurum wheels on White car? That said I have just started thinking about another set of wheels. I've really come to like the Forged One Wheels that user Westcoast has on his Spyder!
Westcoast (03-29-2021)
Old 08-23-2020, 08:30 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Decided to have my calipers redone to match the yellow seatbelts, door pulls, and deviating stitching. I’ll take better pics tomorrow. What do you guys think??

I don't understand. You already have yellow calipers. You want to re-paint them a different yellow?
Old 08-24-2020, 03:08 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
I don't understand. You already have yellow calipers. You want to re-paint them a different yellow?
I believe he’s just sharing the work. He already had them painted racing yellow.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:32 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
I believe he’s just sharing the work. He already had them painted racing yellow.
Calipers were originally stock red. Had them painted yellow for the reasons stated in my original post.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:01 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Calipers were originally stock red. Had them painted yellow for the reasons stated in my original post.
How much did it cost? If you don't mind me asking. I have the steel brakes with red calipers. Now I'm thinking I should have specced them in black.
Anyone done vinyl? Can vinyl hold up to the heat.

Last edited by 911F1; 08-25-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:09 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Yo 911F1 who wants black do something special. I'm deciding on the shade now but doing orange to compliment the MB. Im doing paint but 3M does a high heat wrap here is a vid I ran into
Not sure what the life of it would be though?

Last edited by FASTRKMAN; 08-25-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Caliper color change