Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Caliper color change

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 06:11 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
How much did it cost? If you don't mind me asking. I have the steel brakes with red calipers. Now I'm thinking I should have specced them in black.
Anyone done vinyl? Can vinyl hold up to the heat.
Not an expert here but probably not a good idea to wrap a piece of hot metal that needs to dissipate heat into air with a heavy sheet of plastic, whether the plastic could withstand the heat or not. Wrap yourself in plastic at the beach under a scorching sun to get a sense of what I'm talking about.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:53 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Not an expert here but probably not a good idea to wrap a piece of hot metal that needs to dissipate heat into air with a heavy sheet of plastic, whether the plastic could withstand the heat or not. Wrap yourself in plastic at the beach under a scorching sun to get a sense of what I'm talking about.
Great point, breathable vinyl? Hahaha!
Old 08-25-2020, 10:43 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
How much did it cost? If you don't mind me asking. I have the steel brakes with red calipers. Now I'm thinking I should have specced them in black.
Anyone done vinyl? Can vinyl hold up to the heat.
they were stupidly expensive because the GT4 has a new Brembo caliper which requires certain fasteners and seals be replaced once broken apart which need to be ordered from Europe. Cost was $2,300.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:49 AM
pcar-yvr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

As you are asking for opinions - let me share my two:

1) I believe Black calipers are the best choice for Aurum Wheels (exception = Guards Red Car with Red Brakes). I agree with posters above saying your particular Yellow Calipers / Aurum Wheel combo isn't complimentary.

2) I get you mentioned it's a different shade, but seems a bit "poser-ish" to paint your calipers the signature PCCB colour. Kinda reminds me those who slap "M" badges on a Base 3 Series Bimmer.

All that said - it's your car and you can do whatever you want to it if it brings you joy. No disrespect for how anyone chooses to mod their ride.

Last edited by pcar-yvr; 08-26-2020 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:51 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcar-yvr
As you are asking for opinions - let me share my two:

1) I believe Black calipers are the best choice for Aurum Wheels (exception = Guards Red Car with Red Brakes). I agree with posters above saying your particular Yellow Calipers / Aurum Wheel combo isn't complimentary.

2) I get you mentioned it's a different shade, but seems a bit "poser-ish" to paint your calipers the signature PCCB colour. Kinda reminds me those who slap "M" badges on a Base 3 Series Bimmer.

All that said - it's your car and you can do whatever you want to it if it brings you joy. No disrespect for how anyone chooses to mod their ride.
Re: 1...I completely respect that for YOU black calipers are the best choice for Aurum wheels, and that you find my "....combo isn't complimentary."

Re: 2...Had Porsche offered yellow as a caliper color option in addition to black, red, silver, I would have ordered it OEM. Didn't realize my OCD desire to have a particular coordination of colors on my car reduced me to the level of a poseur putting an "M" badge on any BMW, but hey, maybe subconsciously that's what I was doing!!

Appreciate your acknowledgment that I can do whatever it is I choose to that which is mine. Any opinion on the color change is welcomed, appreciated, and respected. The rest...........
Old 08-30-2020, 05:25 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 764 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by labcars
they were stupidly expensive because the GT4 has a new Brembo caliper which requires certain fasteners and seals be replaced once broken apart which need to be ordered from Europe. Cost was $2,300.
It probably would have made some sense to get the PCCBs
Old 08-30-2020, 06:31 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmk2
It probably would have made some sense to get the PCCBs
I'm not sure why you think that?? PCCB's have never been a desirable option for me, either from a cost or utility perspective. I'm very happy happy with steel brakes......just wanted yellow calipers.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:59 AM
pascalemod
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Caution - this comment does not address the question you've posed and may be viewed as unwelcome and perhaps somewhat offensive:

The brake caliper color is a detail. Why not go after a far greater opportunity area - specifically your wheels?

Your Macadamia paint color is fantastic. The lifeless painted silver / gray OEM wheel color really does nothing to advance the look of the car - especially in combination with the Macadamia. In fact, I think that silver color clashes with the exterior paint color of the car and detracts from the look.

Certainly will acknowledge the cost of wheels is in a totally different category than paint for calipers. But, different wheels would completely transform the look of the car.
As spring comes and im about to repaint calipers, I was browsing my old thread and realized you probably overscrolled my thread here and replied to me, not to OP. I ended up here the same way. I think you nailed the problem for me, it is not the calipers, but the rim color. I have a set of 18s Carrera IVs which Im seriously now considering to go matte gold. With new chubby PSS tyres it might be the perfect way out for me to get that Modern Classic look.

Sorry OP for hijacking.
I think yellow calipers are not as good as red ones were. Funny how for others I can give a clear advice but cannot decide for myself. What I would have done is to paint calipers glossy black and add gold or yellow lettering depending what you wanna match (Rims or stitching). I have seen even that 997 sharkwerks with matte gold rims (one from MW on Jay Leno) carry simple black brakes without any lettering at all, not to detract from the crazy paint (Which I dont like must be said). But that car has gold rims, and black brakes, FWIW.

Now, as they stand, in yellow, I would have black or satin platinum rims on the car instead of gold if you want to have the yellow calipers matched to the cars interior. Yellow rims on silver car to me never look right, I dont care that porsche fits them. Same way Ill never like two tone watches. Honest opinion.

Last edited by pascalemod; 03-28-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:21 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Decided to have my calipers redone to match the yellow seatbelts, door pulls, and deviating stitching. I’ll take better pics tomorrow. What do you guys think??

brake calipers new color looks good. With satin black wheels, the yellow calipers will look fantastic. It’s all about contrast.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:01 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

I'm a little confused. I've got Aurum wheels on White car? That said I have just started thinking about another set of wheels. I've really come to like the Forged One Wheels that user Westcoast has on his Spyder!
Here is my car with the Forged One wheels that I am using with winter tires (not really for driving in snow, just cold temps). Color is very similar to the OEM satin platinum. In side by side comparison, they do have a very slight bluish hue to the platinum finish, but I actually think it is a better color. Think of "cool" vs "warm". The wheels are available in exact OEM fitment. VERY IMPORTANT: if you have standard brakes you will need a small spacer. 3mm will work. There is only 1mm clearance between the caliper and the wheel with standard brakes at the tightest point. With PCCB, there is like 4mm. Still tight but I have had zero issues. The wheels are very light and very reasonably priced for what you are getting.

Last edited by VVG; 03-28-2021 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 10:00 AM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster17
Honestly... I would have steered clear of yellow given PCCB calipers share the that color.

But I understand your logic and I’m sure they look great against the other accents.
Personally I don't agree that yellow calipers have to be exclusively for cars with PCCB brakes. What you seem to be insinuating is if one paints their steel brake equipped calipers yellow, you are a somehow poser, or that other "purists" won't approve of this blasphemy. If that's your attitude, that's ridiculous. To the OP, they look amazing, regardless if they're Speed Yellow, Racing Yellow, or Bumblebee Yellow!
Visual (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:42 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

I think that the OP's choice of caliper color is just fine, there are numerous examples of yellow and Aurum, factory and otherwise.

And regarding certain caliper colours, even Porsche strays from this, offering gloss black on these cars as an option. Additionally on our Macan S the calipers are silver not red, times are a changing!
Old 03-29-2021, 11:48 AM
pascalemod
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodwood
Personally I don't agree that yellow calipers have to be exclusively for cars with PCCB brakes. What you seem to be insinuating is if one paints their steel brake equipped calipers yellow, you are a somehow poser, or that other "purists" won't approve of this blasphemy. If that's your attitude, that's ridiculous. To the OP, they look amazing, regardless if they're Speed Yellow, Racing Yellow, or Bumblebee Yellow!
You know, most people who are bothered by this sort of badge privilege (used in correct way here) are those who feel unhappy they spent the cash and got the badge or just snobs, and the other person just skipped the line entirely and it like, offends them! To an outsider it looks like both cars have yellow calipers, but the jelly owner cares way more what others think then he cares to admit. And if thats the case, the PCCB owner has more problems than he realizes. Sure he can have an opinion, but he can just as rightfully be ignored fully. And sure, he will say he just cares and respect Porsche efforts as brand, yada yada, conveniently forgetting they put those monstrously ugly acid green brakes on they show up on production Hybrid Cayenne coupe in lava orange. Nuff said.

Porsche should not be looked at as a yardstick for design. They are good, but they too make mistakes. And they know it too - you can order your acid green brakes painted black today, because you know, acid green clashes with a ton of colors and not everyone wants to signal they have a hybrid.

The OP's choice of grey wheels and yellow brakes looks cool now. Im glad he ditched the gold rims as to me that was over the top, again to my taste only. Im sure in real life the car looks striking, and its a fast cayman, come on, they are cool as hell. Driven in a GT4 the other day, it's a riot. I don't remember what calipers it even had!

Last edited by pascalemod; 03-29-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Visual (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 01:01 PM
Goodwood
Racer

Hybrid Cayennes comes with green calipers!? Oiy! Let's just say that was a "bold" design decision and leave it at that. Only had one car ever that came with yellow calipers, a certain F car, and fell in love with the look. If I ever get enough ambition, I will definitely have my red ones painted yellow, (and, of course, the shade that comes with PCCB).
Old 03-29-2021, 01:07 PM
Goodwood
Racer

imo, silver tone wheels look better than the Aurum against the yellow calipers. The Chalk paintwork is neutral enough to go either way.

Quick Reply: Caliper color change